Coach returns to lead team, looks to expand golf season

Golf competes in DII tournaments

[/media-credit] The FC golf team gathers on the course for a round of practice.

With baseball, tennis, softball and track and field seasons all underway, there is one sport who does not practice on campus but has also started. The FC varsity golf team prepares for their upcoming season under coach Brent Deffenbacher.

Brent Deffenbacher has gained coaching experience as a soccer, basketball, softball, tennis and flag football in the past 20 years. This will be his second year of coaching the golf team at Fresno Christian. 

Last year the Eagles finished first in the West Sequoia league, and Deffenbacher hopes for the same this year. 

“My goal is to expand the program because of the strong interest in golf, this season we are looking into creating both a junior varsity team and/or possibly a girls varsity team,” Deffenbacher said. “It is our goal to repeat as league champions and progress both as a team and Individually to the Valley Championships. Another goal is to see golf become a ‘year-round’ sport where we both offer workshops and clinics and compete in regional tournaments and events.”

Coach Deffenbacher wants his team to learn from adversity this year and learn how to overcome it.

“Perfection in golf is not our goal… but management is our goal,” Brent Deffenbacher continued. “The very best golfers in the world miss putts, but what makes them professionals is their ability to respond to adversity. This year I’m looking for ‘how’ our team will respond to adversity as it will be a reflection of the quality of people that I know they are desiring to become in Christ.”

Last season the varsity golf finished undefeated in league for the fourth time in the past five seasons. In the league championship tournament, Julian Segura, ’19, and Blake Deffenbacher, ’20, finished first and second respectively.

Third-year player Charles Gong, ‘20, enjoys the aspect of making new friends while playing golf. Gong enjoys the socializing aspect of golf as well as how the sport does not involve running.

[media-credit id=54 align=”alignleft” width=”120″][/media-credit]

“I have been playing golf since freshman year and I continue to play because I enjoy playing it,” Gong said. “I enjoy golf because it doesn’t require you to run and you meet a lot of new people. My favorite part is driving the ball and meeting new people while playing. My goal for the season is to become more consistent and to win league again.”

Some players have put in a lot of time and effort into the game. One such case is team captain Blake Deffenbacher, who first started playing golf with his dad at a young age for fun.

“I started golfing with my dad when I was in lower elementary school, but I have been playing competitively since my freshman year of high school,” Blake Deffenbacher said. “I continue to play golf this year because it is something that I enjoy doing and because it is something that I have invested a lot of time into. My favorite part of playing golf is the relational factor of it. While you’re playing, you get to meet a lot of really cool people and get to hear about their lives while playing a sport that you both enjoy. ”

The golf team participates in Division II, and often competes against significantly larger schools. The team has the privilege of practicing at Copper River Country Club. Blake Deffenbacher aims to be number one in league individual competition and also to win league again with the team.

“Consistency is what I’m always aiming for in my golf game,” Blake Deffenbacher continued. “If I can go out and be satisfied with a round in the way that I feel like I was consistent, I’m happy. This season for me, I hope to place at the top of our league individually and qualify to move beyond the level of league championships. With the team, I hope to once again win league championships, and get a lot better at golf while doing it.”

The golf team will play against Liberty Madera Ranchos at Dragon Fly Golf Course at 2 p.m., Feb. 27. Go out and support your Eagles.

For more articles read Sports Records Series: Soccer and Student voices in private schools.

This author can be reached via email and Twitter.