Captain Marvel features female lead, classic storytelling

Latest Marvel movie increases anticipation for upcoming installments

Captain Marvel has been played by four different characters including Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), who acts in the current movie.

With the most recent Marvel Studio movie coming out last spring of 2018, it has been a whole year without a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movie. However, the popular studio returns to the big screen with a new superhero, Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel first opened in the box office, March. 8.

The latest Marvel studio movie has been long anticipated. Fans of Marvel were shocked with last year’s Avengers movie, Avengers: Infinity War. At the end of the movie, half of the fan-favorite characters faded away into dust, leaving a theatre of speechless viewers. However, the last scene of the movie shows Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) sending a signal to no other but Captain Marvel.

The last scene of Infinity War was the first time the audiences were introduced to Captain Marvel in the MCU. The character was first introduced in Marvel Super-Heroes #12 in December of 1967.

Captain Marvel is directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. The movie is produced by Marvel Studios and is the 21st movie of the MCU.

Captain Marvel has been played by four different characters including Carol Danvers (Brie Larson). Captain Marvel was first created by Stan Lee and Gene Colan. The original Captain Marvel was Mar-Vell and Danvers is currently the most recent Captain Marvel.

Carol Danvers is part human and part alien. She was born as a human but an encounter with a Kree give her supernatural powers. While being part alien, she possesses the power of flight, super strength and invulnerability. She also has the ability to shoot an energy blast from her hand. President of Marvel Studios, Kevin Feige says that Captain Marvel is one of the strongest characters in the MCU.

The following tweet features the trailer to Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel takes place in the 1990s and features Carol Danvers who tries to figure out who she is. With the help of a younger Nick Fury and her friend Maria Rambeau (Lashana Lynch), she slowly discovers what her past is.

The movie first shows Danvers practicing fighting with Yon-Rogg (Jude Law), a Kree commander. The Krees are an alien species with futuristic technologies including laser guns and space ships. On a rescue mission to save a Kree spy, Yon-Rogg takes a squad including Danvers to retrieve it. However, we learn that this is an ambush by the Skrulls.

The Skrulls capture Danvers and go inside her brain to discover her past. This is when the audience first learns the backstory of Danvers. She escaped from the Skrulls and crashes onto Earth. The Skrulls follow her onto Earth and try to recapture her. The Skrulls are shape-shifting aliens who can change their looks whenever they want. The backstory is shared about why the Skrulls and the Krees have been fighting in a war.

The Skrulls find Danvers with Fury and Rambeau on Earth and ask them to listen. The Skrull captain Talos (Ben Mendelsohn) tells Danvers who she was before she lost her memories. He explains how the Mar-Vell was helping the Skrulls to escape from the Krees. With Captain Marvel and the Skrulls working together, they must find the tesseract to help the Skrulls escape.

[/media-credit] This is the first Marvel Studio movie that features a woman superhero lead.

This is the first Marvel Studio movie that features a woman superhero lead. Captain Marvel is similar to other Marvel movies as there is plenty of humor and intense action scenes. However, the movie lacks the explanation of Captain Marvel’s origin. They rushed through the backstory process and left the audience still wondering who she really is.

This movie can be hard to follow at first because of the Kree and Skrulls war. Most audiences who did not read the comics would not know who they are. It is not until the movie reaches the midway that Talos explains everything to Danvers and the audience finally understands her.

In this action-packed movie, the audiences are most shocked once the movie ends. The mid-credits scene of Captain Marvel sends home most fans with many questions regarding Avengers: Endgame.

The movie is rated PG-13 for its violence, action and brief suggestive language. Captain Marvel is for all Marvel fans as it is humorous and heartwarming. It sets up the long-anticipated movie, Avengers: Endgame.

For another movie review check out “The Kid Who Would Be King” teaches kids to equip leadership skills. For another article read Kids Day 2019 shows community involvement, compassion.

John Monke can be reached via email and Twitter.