CSF raises holiday spirit

Countless lights twinkle in the night sky and give life to the dark houses. Carols drift through the crisp air in time with the steps of hundreds of people.

Amid the festive atmosphere of Fresno?s 84th annual Christmas Tree Lane, CSF (California Scholarship Federation) members will spread holiday cheer in an effort to benefit the community.

CSF members will join other campuses’ volunteers on Dec. 2. It will be the opening night and the first of two walking days (the other is Dec. 12). Students will raise money on the two-mile stretch of houses, profits will go towards Children?s Hospital Central California (Valley Children?s Hospital).

?Our CSF group decided to participate in this activity because we wanted to become involved with Valley Children?s Hospital,? CSF president Kristen Amerine, ?07, said. ?We originally wanted to actually go into the hospital and visit patients, but they directed us to Christmas Tree Lane as this is their sole fundraiser of the season.?

Christmas Tree Lane is located on Van Ness Blvd.

?I?m going because it seems like a fun way to spend time with friends,? Janae Keys-Bramlett, ?09, said. ?It?s a great opportunity to help people.?

Students participating will receive full community service credit.

?I?m going because I need community service hours for my Bible class,? Megan Ortiz, ?09, said. ?I?ve procrastinated and the end of the semester is coming fast.?

CSF is an organization dedicated to ?Scholarship for Service?, encouraging high school students across the state to contribute to their community.

?Volunteering allows students to become more involved in the community,? Katelyn Aydelotte, ?08, said. ?It gives them the opportunity to gain more experience in working with and helping other people.?

Since the event is sponsored by CSF, through the campus, it is open to members only. However, non-members are encouraged to participate in other forms of community service activities.

CSF is planning additional events involving Valley Children’s, in addition to a college trip for upperclassmen members in the spring.

?We will participate in upcoming Literacy Days,? Amerine said. ?This will give us a chance to go in and read to the kids who are patients at the hospital.?