Student of the Month: Mackenzie Beckworth

Every month The Feather highlights one individual from the student body who demonstrates exemplary character and or admirable dedication to classes or extracurricular activities. Teachers choose those who display the before mentioned characteristics in the classroom setting. The objective of the following article is to honor the effort of students to live by Caleb Code Standards: Seek Truth, Speak Life, Serve Others.

The previous Student of the Month article features Nicole Wagoner.

[/media-credit] Sophomore Mackenzie Beckworth has attended FCS since 2nd grade.

English teacher Andrea Donaghe nominated sophomore Mackenzie Beckworth as Student of the Month due to Beckworth’s conduct in class as well as the quality of her work. Donaghe states that Beckworth possess a talent for writing and encourages her to take AP Literature her junior year.

“I have known Mackenzie since 7th grade when she was in junior high Yearbook,” Donaghe said. “I remember commenting on how well she conducted herself in class, the work she produced and the way she interacted with her classmates. Her work ethic is admirable, and the quality of work she has produced is excellent. It is rare to meet someone with the maturity, grace and kindness Mackenzie has. She has been a joy to have in class, to get to know this school year and be blessed by.”

Bible, her favorite class, is also taught by her favorite teacher, Scott Falk. Beckworth enjoys how Falk teaches the class and loves reading a Psalm every day.

As a long time friend of Beckworth, Celeste (Amy) Castaneda discussed why both of them are friends.

[/media-credit] Other than writing, Beckworth enjoys binge watching Gilmore Girls and playing with her dog, Nacho.

“My favorite teacher is Mr Falk because of how awesome he is,” Beckworth said. “I love listening to him read the Psalms and having him teach Bible class is the best. When I don’t get a certain aspect, I don’t have to be afraid of him belittling me like I don’t know anything. He is very sympathetic when you have have a bad day or when you just need to talk.”

As one of her favorite pastimes, Beckworth uses her writing both in and out of school. Any time she thinks of something interesting or inspiring, she writes it down. This school year, Beckworth joined The Feather, where she displays her writing in her articles.

“Even when I don’t have free time, I love to write,” Beckworth said. “When I think of something inspiring or anything worth expanding on, I jot it down. When I actually have free time, I write poems and journal a lot.”

As a self-titled introvert, Beckworth values her extroverted family because of the encouragement they give her to push her out of her comfort zone.

“I love my family. It is super funny because they’re all extroverts,” Beckworth said. “They want to have fun all the time and they can be super loud, but then there’s me. I’m a total introvert. However, over the years they have helped me come out of my shell and they have actually made me more extroverted. I’m more comfortable in certain situations because of them, and I am so grateful.”

For more student of the month profiles, read Student of the month: Riley Goldsborough and Student of the Month: Owen McCann.

For more articles, check out Scythe challenges players with complex gameplay and New Voices legislation seeks to restore student journalist rights.

Brayden Iest can be reached via email.