Boys’ soccer sport shorts, 2006-07

WINTER SPORTS SHORTS–
(Latest soccer shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Visit the Sports Section for soccer features)

For the 2007 boys’ soccer SWSL standing and stats, click here on MaxPreps SWSL boys’ soccer.

BOYS’ SOCCER, 2006-2007–
The Eagles’ overall record is 7-12-7 overall and 2-4-2 in the South West Sierra League as of Feb. 16.

SEASON END

FC LOSES TO TOP RANKED AVENAL, 6-0
The Eagles hoped to gain another step on their way to a Valley Championship by defeating No. 1 seed Avenal, but the Buccaneers had a plan of their own.

Within the first five minutes of the game, Avenal took a one to nothing lead when striker Jorge Hernandez scored one of his two goals off a short cross from the left side of the 18-yard box. The Buccaneers got their second score off a penalty kick when Luis Ayala shot from the top of the 18-yard box. The ball curved down and goalie Vincent Cabias got a piece of it, but the ball continued to roll into the goal.

Avenal scored their third goal when Osvalso Contreras scored in the last minute before half the Buccaneers led, 3-0. The game was a marked contrast to an earlier meeting between the two teams. Avenal escaped with a 1-0 victory on Jan. 5.

FC battled evenly with Avenal early in the second half, but as time wore down, so did their energy levels. Avenal doubled their score in the second half when Jaime Padilla and Ramiro Mejia scored and ended the season for the Eagles; the final score was 6-0.

Head coach Matt Markarian made sure all his seniors got playing time in what would be the final game of the season for the Eagles. Markarian was proud of the way the team over came several challenges this year and eventually won a playoff game.

“The whole team played great today,” Markarian said. “Avenal is a very talented team and we let them score on a few minor mistakes. Overall, I appreciated the way everyone played this year and look forward to continuing our success next year.”

EAGLES BEAT HOME SPARTANS IN PLAYOFF OPENER, 2-1
Visiting FC attacked Strathmore from the opening whistle and held on for a playoff opening victory.

After a substitution on the first out-of-bounds for injured Tyler Enns, the Eagles scored with senior striker Kyle Brewer shooting from the top right corner of the 18-yard box off the mark. The ball deflected of the left goal post right to the feet of freshmen Gerald Bell who finally scored.

Both teams continued battling in the close match until Brewer scored after dribbling past Strathmore’s defenders and shooting from the top left corner of the 18-yard box. At the close of the first half, the Eagles lead, 2-0.

For the majority of the second half, both teams were equally match. A Spartan striker, Fernando Lima, was able to ruin the shutout by deflecting a cross right past diving goalie, sophomore Vincent Cabias, in the final minute of play. The Eagles closed out the game, winning 2-1.

Head coach Matt Markarian was pleased with the win and the composure of the team.

“There is a reason why we practice,” Markarian said. “The guys were able to fix the mistakes from previous games and put together a solid performance. I look forward to preparing for Avenal at practice tomorrow.”

The boys’ lost to Avenal, 1-0, on Jan. 5 in their only other meeting this season, but hope to even their record against the No. 1 seeded team.

RIVERDALE DEFEATS FC, 6-0
FC traveled to Riverdale to close out their regular season games. The Eagles hoped to end their season with a win despite all the struggles this year.

Throughout the first half, both teams battle possesion after possesion, but neither team was able to capitalize. The Riverdale Cowboys finally broke the scoring drought with a cross to a Riverdale striker, Humberto Vasquez, who scored the first and only goal of the half.

FC let their guard down the second half and the Cowboy’s scoring barrage began. After the the first fifteen minutes, Riverdale had extended their lead to 5-0 and FC was unable to rebound.

Head coach Matt Markarian put in the second string who gave up one goal the remainder of the game. Riverdale won with a final score of 6-0.

“The second string guys played very well,” Markarian said. “They hustled after the ball, went up for 50-50 balls in the air, and just played hard overall.”

Vasquez and Juan Aguilera led the Cowboys with two goals a piece.

The boys will find out on Feb. 10 if the will make playoffs depending on the seedings.

EAGLES SUFFER LOSS TO THE LIBERTY HAWKS
With two games left in the Eagles’ league schedule and needing to win at least one game for a playoff birth, FC attempted to defeat league rival, Liberty, on the road.

The Hawks put a two point barrier between themselves and the Eagles on two goals off headers early in the first half. Neither team scored after that and at halftime, the score remained Hawks 2, Eagles 0.

Liberty added another goal after senior defender Aaron Ortiz fell to the ground leaving a Hawk striker open and Eagle goalie, Vincent Cabias, to fend for himself.

FC’s response was quick and swift as senior Kyle Brewer took the ball the length of the field and dribbled through Liberty’s defenders. He shot from the left half of the 18-yard box and scored past the outstreched goalie’s arms. The Eagles added a second goal when senior Ryan Taylor took a loose ball in the 18-yard box and shot the ball into the side net.

Liberty added a late goal after a close call that sealed the win for the Hawks. Freshmen Tyler Chessum received a red card on the play and will be out for the league final at Riverdale on Feb. 9.

EAGLES TIE LEAGUE LEADING CARUTHERS IN OVERTIME
During the last home game for this year’s senior, FC gave their fans everything they could ask for by tying the Blue Raiders on Feb. 2. From the start of the game both teams gave all the had to win. Despite several chances on frame, neither team was able to capitalize, entering halftime with a 0-0 score.

The second half proved a repeat performance by both the home a visiting teams. On a counter attack by FC, in the middle of the half, senior Tyler Enns fell to the ground after passing the ball. The game was stopped when Caruthers knocked the ball out of bounds.

Enns was taken to the emergency room at St. Agnes and his x-rays did not reveal any break or dislocation of his hip. He is scheduled to have an MRI to see if it is possibly a strained or torn muscle.

After Enns left, the teams headed to overtime and both teams were unable to score. FC and Caruthers both hope to see each other in a possible playoff match.

“The guys played defense like none other,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “To see the guys so short-handed and come out and do what they did today was incredible. We have gone to overtime with the first placed team in league, we are so close to where we want to be.”

FC TIES FOWLER IN OVERTIME, 3-3, on Jan. 30
After being shutout in a non-league match, FC broke their scoring drought by tying their league rival, Fowler Redcats, 3-3, on Jan. 30.

The first ten minutes of the game provided an opportunity for Fowler to score when miscomunication between defenders left a gap open in the middle of the field. This left a Redcat striker an open shot at the goal.

FC answered when freshmen Jacob Esquivel passed to senior Ryan Taylor who scored off of a Redcat defender deflection. Fowler scored again during the first half and entered halftime with a 2-1 lead.

The Eagles were able to score early in the second half when senor stiker Kyle Brewer had a one-on-one with Fowler’s keeper. The goalie’s slide tackle was not enough to stop Brewer as he used his face to control the ball and easily tapped the ball in the open goal.

Fowler scored one more goal in the second half, but FC scored of a corner kick that tied the game just before regulation time ended. Freshmen striker Tyler Chessum was able to get a foot on the ball amidst the commotion and deflected the ball to tie the game at 3-3.

With the sun quickly setting, both teams were unable to score during the two 10-min overtime periods.

Head coach Matt Markarian was pleased with the effort of the team after losing to Fowler, 7-0, earlier in the season.

“The guys played much better than the last time these two teams met,” Markarian said. “We need to win the rest of our league games to win league and we have our work cut out for us.”

DOS PALOS SHUTOUTS FC, 4-0, on Jan. 26
Without senior Tyler Enns who was out due to an ankle injury suffered during Tuesday’s match against Riverdale, the Eagles were unable to score a goal against the Dos Palos Broncos.

Within the first ten minutes of the game, the a Bronco’s striker shot through the hands of goal keeper Vincent Cabias. They got their second goal of the game of a penalty kick when senior defender John Lynch slide tackled a player and received a yellow card.

FC attempted to overcome injuries without four starters due to various afflictions suffered in previous games and practices.

Edgar Ponce led Dos Palos with two goals with two other playes scoring one goal each.

FC EVENS LEAGUE RECORD VERSUS RIVERDALE on Jan. 23
The Eagles rebounded from Monday’s overtime loss to Caruthers and defeated Riverdale, 3-1, on Jan. 23. FC attacked Riverdale early with senior Tyler Enns scoring from the left corner of the 18-yard box to the far post. The Eagles led at half by one.

The Riverdale Cowboys evened the score early in the second half when their striker, Juan Ramirez, dribbled through three FC defenders and chipped the ball over the keeper.

The Eagles rebounded with senior Kyle Brewer outrunning Riverdale’s defenders and scoring in the side net ten minutes later. Brewer also set up Ryan Taylor who scored on a header after Brewer sent a cross into the box in the final five minutes.

FC evened their league record at two games.

“The guys finally finished a game strong,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “Kyle was able to slow himself down on the last goal and gave a great cross to Ryan.”

OVERTIME DECIDES SOUTH WEST MATCH on Jan. 19
Caruthers needed overtime but defeated FC, 3-2, on Jan. 19 in a rescheduled match from Oct. 19. The Blue Raiders remain undefeated (3-0) in league play.

Caruthers scored the winner after a shot deflected off defender, Jeremy Ramos, to Danny Pineda and the Blue Raider striker stoked the ball far post while in the box.

During the first half, down 1-0, FC senior Tyler Enns scored on a penalty evening the score at one goal a piece.

Kyle Brewer scored for the Eagles with a header over the goalie giving FC a 2-1 lead. Riber Morales scored for Blue Raiders with less than five minutes left in the game sending it into overtime.

Daniel Munoz scored for Caruthers off a set piece for the win.

Head coach Matt Markarian was pleased with the team’s play after their loss to Fowler earlier in the week.

“We fought well,” Markarian said. “One mishap at the end of the game was enough to give Caruthers the momemtum and we couldn’t over come it.”

FOWLER DEFEATS FC, 7-0, on Jan. 16
The Eagles played the the first ten minutes aggressively as both teams were held scoreless. Fowler picked up their game and the scoring barrage commenced. By the end of the first half, Fowler led 5-0.

During the second half, FC allowed two more goals for a final score of 7-0.

“When we don’t score, it’s hard to win games,” sophomore goalie Vincent Cabias said. “We did not play to our potential today, practice will not be fun tomorrow.”

FC DEFEATS LIBERTY, 2-1, on Jan. 12
FC attacked the Liberty Hawks for the start of the game with senior striker Kyle Brewer scoring on a break-away early in the first half. But the Hawks retaliated by scoring on their own break-away in the same half.

During the second half, Brewer crossed the ball to senior Ryan Taylor who deflectd the ball to freshmen Gerald Bell who tapped the ball in for the winning margin. FC held Liberty scoreless for the remainder of the game.

“We played very well today,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “We were aggressive towards the frame and were able to hold Liberty to one goal.”

TRANQUILLITY DEFEATS FC, 3-1, on Jan. 9
The Tigers defeated the Eagles 3-1, on Jan. 9. The Eagles had numerous attempts to score, but senior Tyler Enns scored FC’s only goal in the second half.

Tranquillity’s goals were spread among three different players. Two goals were scored in the first half followed by one in the second.

“We played very bad,” coach Matt Markarian said. “However, our three freshman played very well. We have a bright future, but it does not look good right now.”

AVENAL DEFEATS FC, 1-0, on Jan. 5
The 11-2-2 Buccaneers scored the only goal in the final minutes to defeat the Eagles 1-0, on Jan. 5. Both offenses had no opportunities to score because of a consistent defense.

Senior Kyle Brewer suffered a minor concussion after being elbowed by an Avenal mid-fielder. The only goal came off the foot of Avenal’s Alijandro Rodgriez in the last couple of minutes in the second half.

MENDOTA, FC TIE, 2-2, on Jan. 2
With Coleton Hutchins in the hospital with a broken leg, FC battled Mendota to a 2-2 tie on Jan. 2. Seniors Ryan Taylor and Kyle Brewer each scored for the Eagles in the non-league match.

COAST UNION INVITATIONAL–
FC TIES COAST UNION, 0-0, on Dec. 29
FC was unable to score against the 10-man squad. The physical game ended with junior center defender Coleton Hutchins breaking his right leg with a tibia fracture. He will be out for the season and two to three months with a bar in his bone.

FC TIES MISSION PREP, 1-1, on Dec. 29
FC scored first as Tyler Chessum kicked in a cross in the first half. Mission tied the score late in the first half. Neither team could add a winner.

“We should have won the game if we played as well as we did against Central,” Matt Markarian said. “It is hard to understand how we can play so differently each game; we need to be more consistent.”

FC TIES CENTRAL, 2-2, on Dec. 29
The Eagles came out of the gates blazing in the first half as Kyle Brewer put FC up with a one point lead within the first five minutes.

Central evened the score on a PK following a foul by an FC defender in the 18-yard box.

“We played very well against the Division I school,” Matt Markarian said. “We are a good team when we want to be and showed that against Central today.”

FC BEATS LATON, 5-3, on Dec. 16
Without starting goalie, Vincent Cabais, and back-up, Eric Beneke, FC had to rearrange the field and moved junior center defense Coleton Hutchins to goalie.

After two quick goals by Laton’s Juan Ramirez, the Eagles had their hands full ending the first half down, 2-1.

FC settled down and returned to their style of play, scoring four goals by three different players and an own goal by Laton.

Tyler Enns lead the Eagles with 2 goals while Tyler Chessum, Kyle Brewer and Gerald Bell each added singles.

“Coleton did OK as a third-string keeper,” coach Matt Markarian said. “We definetely don’t want him to give up his day job as a defensive player.”

Laton’s Ramirez added a third goal but the Mustangs’ forward was not enough to stop FC’s rally in the second half.

2006 GARCES HOLIDAY SOCCER FESTIVAL, Dec. 15-16–
FC BEATS MCFARLAND, 4-0, on Dec. 16
As a steady rain poured on the field during the consolation match between FC and McFarland, the Eagles scored two goals in both halves to take home the third place trophy.

Without three key seniors and a defensive change to a sweeper-stopper set-up, the Eagles overcame their opponents to take third to tie the best finish in their team’s history.

“The guys needed to realize that they are a good team,” coach Matt Markarian said. “We were able to overcome some of our early season troubles and put together a great showing here at Garces. We made improvments in every game we played and will continue as the season progresses.”

FC BEATS BAKERSFIELD CHRISTIAN, 3-0, on Dec. 16
After a difficult tie against Strathmore earlier that day, FC needed to shutout Bakersfield, 3-0, for any hope of reaching the consolation match. The Eagles responed lead by senior striker Kyle Brewer’s goal in the first half and held on for the win.

“Even though we won, their was still a chance for us not to even play in the consolation match,” Jeremy Ramos, ’07, said. “Strathmore had a chance to take our place if they shutout Sutter in their afternoon match.”

While the boys’ team waited for the results, Sutter tied Strathmore and gave FC its second chance to take third at the Garces Tournament later that night.

FC TIES STRATHMORE, 1-1, on Dec. 16
In a near repeat of yesterday’s match, FC dominated their opponent only to watch a victory slip away. While the Eagles did score, missed chances cost them a win. Strathmore and FC tied, 1-1, in an early game on Dec. 16.

“We had so many chances but have problems with ball placement,” coach Matt Markarian said. “I think we are the best in our pool but do not have the finish to prove it. We consistently outplay our opponents but shoot the ball at the keeper making his stats the difference in the game.”

FC’s goal cam in the second half when Tyler Enns sent Kyle Brewer into open space on a breakaway. Brewer outran two opponents to the ball and sent a shot crossframe into the left panel.

“We played well this morning,” Brewer said, “but we still need to pay more aggressive in the 18-yard box and connect our shots. This team is improving and we are playing well together. I am looking forward to playing Bakersfield Christian.

SUTTER BEATS FC, 1-0, on Dec. 15
Despite not actually registering a shot on goal, Sutter defeated FC, 1-0, on an own-goal after Suttler took a corner kick in the first half.

“This was a game we should have on,” senior Jeremy Ramos said. “We outplayed them but we kept kicking the ball right to the keeper.”

The Eagles had 12 shots on frame but most were easily stopped by a busy Sutter keeper. Only Aaron Ortiz’s tap after a corner kick that glanced off the post was a serious scoring opportunity.

FC DEFEATS KERN VALLEY, 4-0, on Dec. 15
Behind senior Tyler Enns’ three goals, FC scored for the first time this season and beat Kern Valley, 4-0, to open the Garces Tournament. In the first 17 minutes of the first half, the Eagles scored three times to take control of the match.

Senior Kyle Brewer trapped the ball and headed it to Enns who then tapped in the ball at the 17 minute mark. Within five minutes, Enns scored again as he dribbled into the box and kicked it in. Then near the end of the first half senior Ryan Taylor sent the ball to Erickson how immediately returned the ball to Taylor who tapped the ball in for FC’s third goal.

Enns scored his thrid goal in the middle of the second half. He took a corner from the left side and actually bent the ball into the far corner, beating the keeper.

“Our team played well as a team, “Brewer said. “The guys stepped up today; we played tough defense today. This really feels good.”

FIREBAUGH DOMINATES FC, 4-0, on Dec. 12
FC dropped its third straight in a match against Firebaugh, 4-0, on Dec. 12 and played without their leader Juan Sandavol due to injury.

After the first two games, the boys team decided to implement a new strategy of getting the ball up and down the sidelines. FC’s new ball movement provided many golden opporunities to score, but all were off the mark.

“We played much better despite giving up four goals,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “At some point we need to put the ball in our opponent’s net.”

CENTRAL VALLEY CHRISTIAN DEFEATS FC, 1-0, on Dec. 6

FC lost its home opener to CVC, 1-0, after being scored on early in the first half. Coltin Irvine of CVC knocked in a cross which proved to be the winning margin.

Despite not practicing after a loss the previous day, head coach Matt Markarian remains optimistic for the rest of the season.

“CVC plays how we would like to play,” Markarian said. “Get the ball to our playmaker (senior Tyler Enns), and have him distribute the ball to others.”

TOLLHOUSE-SIERRA DEFEATS FC, 2-0, on Dec. 5
FC gave up two goals in the 1st half of their season opener and lost, 2-0, at Tollhouse-Sierra, on Dec. 5. After missed defensive assignments on two corner kicks, Zac Foster of Tollhouse made FC pay as he tapped in both goals in the first half.

However, sophomore goalie Vincent Cabias kept the game close with four saves in his first full game at the position.

The team settled down the second half and kept the home team silent. An offsides infraction in FC’s 18-yard box recalled a possible goal by Tollhouse.

The second half produced many opportunities to score, but none succeeded.

Senior captian, Kyle Brewer, reflected that the game would be a valuable lesson for future games.

“We played well overall despite it being our first game of the season,” Brewer said. “It showed us some weakness that we need to fix, but also strengths that we should keep.”