FCStivus' snow theme celebrates semester's end

Mountains glisten with fresh powder while the scent of evergreens wafts through the air, allowing students to embrace nature?s beauty at Yosemite Ice Skating Rink on Dec. 15.

For the past three years, student leadership wanted to put on an event to conclude the semester by taking the three-hour trip to the snow. Busy schedules for sports and the performing arts programs prevented the leadership team from turning this idea into a reality, until now.

?I?m disappointed basketball and soccer will still not be able to join us on our trip to Yosemite,? Jessica Berg, ?07, said. ?The last day of first semester was the least hectic and the most convenient time to go, though. I am so happy Papa (Principal Gary Schultz) gave us permission to make this event possible.?

The first one hundred students to sign up and pay the $25 fee which includes the bus ride and ice-skating cost will be able to experience the FCStivus. A snack may be provided on the trip, but students must bring their own lunch or money to purchase one at the rink.

?I?m looking forward to ice skating, hanging out with friends and playing in the snow,? Kim Swift, ?08, said. ?It will be relaxing to know that finals are over and that Christmas break is here.?

In order for students to ensure a seat on one of the two charter buses, leadership recommends students bring their money on Dec. 4-8 and sign up during lunch.

?I know I will be the first person to sign up because I love the snow,? Kevin Damm, ?09, said. ?I can?t see how anyone would want to pass up on an opportunity like this one.?

Buses will leave the high school parking lot at 7 A.M. and are expected to return at approximately 3 P.M.

“I think this event will be a lot of fun even though students will have to get up early,” Josh Tosland, leadership adviser, said. “It will be a great way to celebrate the end of first semester.”