Alumni recruits build Sleepy Hollow set

The drama production, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, introduces complex set designs and professional lighting in hopes of positively influencing the audience reaction for its annual fall production on Dec. 8-9.

Drama teacher and director Tom McEntee desires to showcase his goals through the upcoming production with a new set design team. Alumni Michael Savage, ’04, and Akiko Work, ?06, combined with senior Keegan Shea, Ani Paparigian, ?09, McEntee and friend, Mark Casson, to form the crew.

?I?m hoping that the set will accomplish the goal of making the place more mysterious and scary with the lights low,? McEntee said. ?The hardest problem was easily solved by getting Akiko to help paint again.?

The stage will display the town-square, interior sets, tombstones, rolling hills and a multitude of trees.

?As with any production like this one, you want to engage the audience visually,? Savage said. ?It?s as important for the actors as it is for the audience. You want to draw them into another world and, for a little while, make them feel as though they are really there.?

Construction of the set began in October and McEntee estimates $1000 for the total cost.

?I made the tombstones out of sheets of foam and covered them with a couple coats of cement,? Shea said. ?Then I added some color to make the look a little more realistic. I?m not surprised they turned the way they did. My dad help me with the coloring, because he does industrial cement floors for a living.?

Although McEntee recruited Savage last year to help for basic prop construction and scripts, this year he acted as an art director.

?I created the soundtrack, plan designs and built a few props,? Savage said. ?I also researched information, so the props would be in the right time period and look the way they should have including color and texture.?

Savage currently attends Fresno State University and believes large scale projects help sharpen design skills, regardless of career choice. Although he was not involved in the drama program while in high school, he decided to help, because of his siblings? participation.

?My brother (Jason) is in drama and I?m glad to support,? Savage said. ?I don?t even know how many hours I spent working on the production. I would be happy to help again next year, it was a fun process.?

The drama production of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is scheduled for Dec. 8-9 in Ground Zero at 7 P.M. and will include an opening one-act production of “The Lady or the Tiger” by the junior high drama class. Tickets are available from any drama student and in the office and cost $5.

?Building the sets allows me to show the school that I have talent,? Paparigian said. ?The opportunity to be able to present my work this way makes me feel really good.?

Drama?s next production, Treasure Island, will be in the spring.

For more information on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, read Elisha Quintana’s Sept. 21 article “Fears drive focus in Sleepy Hollow”. Additionally read Quintana’s Oct. 4 article “Sleepy Hollow designers craft show alongside drama veterans”.