Alumni lead football program

When the football program began on campus in 1986, no one expected Darryl Beal, math teacher, would lead the Eagles to a first place finish in league.

“We were a start up team and played well,” Beal said. “We beat everyone but three years later we had been placed against more difficult teams and ended up placing second in league.”

Changes to the football program

Since then the program developed, it required an 11-man team apposed to an 8-man. Equipment was borrowed from Clovis High, currently the campus has two individual campus sleds and line man chutes.

?Now we have a better football program with summer training and more resources,? Jon Hall, current coach, said. ?Also, there is a weight lifting program with tougher competition in league. We are trying to build the football program to an even higher level with youth football and a weight training facility.?

Alumni reflect over athletic career

Hall played football for Whitworth College in Germany, but after two years transferred to play as a wide receiver. In the 1994-95 season, he went semi-pro in Germany on the Simbach Wildcats.

“My favorite memory from playing football was coach Beal yelling at us for being soft or not tough enough which became called ‘pansy weak’,” Hall said. “He continued to insult us by calling us girls and other delicate names and became humorous after awhile even though we ran so much that week.”

Michael Fuller, head JV coach, began coaching three years ago and played football on the campus’ first team.

“After 20 years football is not very different,” Fuller said. “Even though we are in a different league football is still football. I also like football because it has the same skills, values, and attitudes life requires.”

Steven Richards played 20 years ago, for his sophomore and junior year. After graduation, Richards received his Masters in linguistics.

“I remember summer practices, we had two-a-days,” Richards said. “I also remember the really close friends which I am still in touch with.”

Football currently on campus

Hall agrees with Richards that football acts as a bonding experience for the players.

“I like football because it is the ultimate team sport,” Hall said. “You get to ‘battle’ with the teammates in the most physical and adverse conditions.”

Jeremy Ramos, ’07, believes the current team may improve, with an alumni as coach.

“I think its good to have a former Fresno Christian player as a coach because he knows the traditions of this campus,” Ramos said. “He knows what to expect in a player and what is needed to carry on the team.”