Campus tennis team aims for Valley championship

Varsity tennis finishes season, hopes to leave legacy

[/media-credit] Winning the league individual tournament, Alex Rurik, ’19, leads the tennis team as captain.

UPDATE: May 3

The Eagles are headed back to the Valley championship after defeating Firebaugh High School, 6-3, May 2. The team entered doubles with the score tied 3-3; however, all three doubles team won their matches to help the team to advance to the championship. The Eagles will host Caruthers High School for the final at 3 p.m., May 7. Stay tuned for a recap of this match in the following week.

Original article

With the school year coming to an end, athletes around the campus prepare for the postseason for their sports. The Fresno Christian varsity tennis team prepares to capture its first-ever Valley championship in a decade.

The Eagles came up one match short in last year’s season by losing to Liberty High School in a close contest. This year the team finished the season with a record of 17-3 overall and 15-1 in league play. They won the West Sequoia League after beating Orange Cove High School in the last match of the regular season.

Head coach for eight years Robert Foshee shares his success with the team and his strategy on winning Valley championships.

“Each year the players have to make a commitment to get better and put in the work to succeed,” Foshee said. “This year the players have really worked to achieve a league championship and make a run in the playoffs. Our strategy is to out work the other teams and do the best we can in each match.”

Foshee has been teaching on campus for nearly 20 years and has coached multiple sports. He won a Valley championship with varsity girls soccer in 2001.

“Our goal is to do work our best on our first match and see if we can earn our way into the next round,” Foshee said. “My hope for our seniors this year in playoffs is that they can finish the season playing their best tennis. I also hope they can leave a legacy of hard work as well as being a respectful player and representative for Jesus.”

[/media-credit] Teaching at FCS for over 20 years, Robert Foshee coaches the tennis team.

Reese Brown, ‘19, has been playing tennis since freshman year. He was part of the team that reached valleys last year but this year he hopes to win.

“Our team playing well has led to our success in league, when one player was down another one could pick him up,” Brown said. “I think our team still has room to grow all around, but especially with our minds. My personal goal for the team is to win valleys. I know this team can do it so I’m ready to see how far we take this.”

Captain and No. 1 seed player Alexander Rurik, ‘19, was one of three seniors who are on the top of the Eagle ladder. Rurik also won first place in the league individual tournament.

“As a team, we have worked very hard to win league and have a chance to win Valley championship,” Rurik said. “My only goal for this year was to win a Valley championship after coming so close to winning it all last year. Winning valleys for Fresno Christian would be a great way to end my time here.”

The Eagles received the No. 1 overall seed and a first-round bye. The Eagles host Dos Palos High School in the second round of playoffs, April 30 at 3:30 p.m. Go out and support your varsity Eagles as they start playoffs.

For more articles, read City leaders look to impact homeless crisis, pt. 1 and Journalists, scientist discuss growing mistrust in science journalism.

John Monke can be reached via Twitter and email.

Slideshow images below of boys varsity tennis, April-May.