Christmas sparks tradition

Rigid snowmen alongside Nativity scenes hold their nightly vigil as sounds of caroling echo throughout the world. Ornamented trees entwined with red and green lights stand guard over the numerous presents. When dawn approaches, the aura of joy permeates the air as children wake up and open their long-awaited gifts.

Christmas has sparked many traditions that have become part of American culture. Whether Santa Claus and Christmas trees or winter festivals, only few seem to deny the impact it makes on the world.

?There is nothing better then having one day of giving and receiving gifts and seeing a loved one smile,? Richard Garcia, ?08, said. ?On that day we received a gift greater than anything someone can give, a chance to be free from sin.?

Though based on the biblical birth of Jesus Christ, some countries celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday.

?Other people just view it as another holiday but Christians view it as God?s gifts,? Mitchell Callisch, ?09, said. ?Our culture has turned it into a business and a big party.?

As Christianity and Western culture spread, the tradition of Christmas has been adopted by many cultures, which incorporate their own traditions.

?All these countries in South America have been colonized by the Europeans who brought over traditions like Christmas,? Beatriz Foth, Spanish teacher, said. ?These traditions then adapt to South American traditions.?

Countries in South America have a variety of gift giving traditions. These gift giving traditions include ?El Ni