Sports Record Series: Volleyball

This article is the fifth of the new series entitled “Sports Records”. For the latest article, read Sports Records Series: Softball. Follow The Feather for more articles in the series as they are published.

[/media-credit] Kayla Vanderlinden, ’20, serves the ball at a home game, Sept. 20.

The nets tighten and the courts are prepared as the determination for a winning season grows among the volleyball team. Moving from the West Sequoia League into the East Sierra League, the volleyball team competes for the Valley champions title.

The varsity volleyball team begins their season with ten players, consisting of three seniors, five juniors, one sophomore and one freshman. With the team losing five seniors, this season’s players prepare to step up and fill the spots left behind.

Last year, the team finished league with a 13-2 record and secured a No. 10 seed in playoffs. The team faced defeat in their first playoff game against Kerman High School and their season came to a close.

Heading into the 2019 season, the volleyball team strives to win games and make it to the championship. Senior captain Kayla Vanderlinden explains why she enjoys playing volleyball at Fresno Christian and what she is looking forward to this season.

“Volleyball is my favorite sport,” Vanderlinden said. “I love how close the team is and how well we work together on the court. I am sad that this is my last season but I am also excited because I can tell we are going to do well as a team. I am looking forward to playing games because this team has real potential and hopefully we can go all the way to winning a Valley championship.”

The varsity team is coached by Kit Maddox with the assistance of Kevin Polkinghorne, David Tatum and alumna Mckensy Neal. Maddox and Polkinghorne began coaching during the 2017 season and coached Neal when she was a senior in high school. Tatum coached volleyball at Fresno Christian from 2009-2011 and returns for his fourth year of coaching. The foursome strives to train the team to become strong and work together as a unit to reach the goal of a Valley championship.

The following infographic shows offense and defense records held for volleyball.

Sports Records: Volleyball by Megan LeBlanc

The latest record that was broken was by alumna Olivia Quebe in 2014. Quebe talks about her reaction to finding out she holds a record and what she misses about playing sports at Fresno Christian.

“I had no idea I held a record,” Quebe said. “I spent a lot of time and left blood, sweat and tears in the gym so it is nice to know that the hard work paid off.  The best part about playing volleyball at Fresno Christian was the fact that I was exposed to a lot of playing time, even as a freshman. The amount of exposure to the game made me a better and smarter competitor.”

[/media-credit] FC alumna Kaylie Clem, ’19, passes the ball to center court for alumna setter Kamryn Schultz, ’19.

Quebe continued to play volleyball on an intramural team after high school and she believed God had provided that special opportunity for her at college.

“My plan was to play volleyball competitively in college from the moment I started playing the game, ” Quebe continued. “Unfortunately, that dream changed when I injured my rotator cuff during a club volleyball game my senior year. At the time, I failed to realize that the Lord was redirecting my focus to the calling He had for my life.  I still play on a competitive intramural team at school and it allows me to enjoy the sports I love.”

The volleyball team played their first game against Immanuel High School, Aug. 20. Junior varsity games start at 4:30 p.m. and varsity starts at 5:30. Make sure to head out and support your Eagles!

This author received all information and statistics on the MaxPreps website. If any data needs to be changed, leave a comment and the author of this article will fix it.

This is the fifth article in the series entitled “Sports Records.” Stay tuned for the last article entitled Sports Records: Football.

For more article in the series read Sports Records: Baseball and Sports Records: Softball

Megan LeBlanc can be reached via email and twitter.

FC volleyball