BREAKING: Seniors honored during 38th annual graduation

[/media-credit] Directed by Susan Ainley, choir performs during last year’s graduation. This year, both the Cantiamo and Bellezza choirs will be singing.

With the school year wrapping up, faculty and students prepare for FCS’ 38th annual graduation, May 22. With students accruing over $2.1M in scholarships, the graduation will send off 41 seniors and 10 “lifers.” Graduation will be held in the Peoples Church main auditorium, starting at 7 p.m.

Vice principal and Bible teacher Scott Falk shares how graduation impacts students and faculty alike.

“Sometimes when you see the accomplishments of others it inspires you to do your best as well,” Falk said. “Certainly that’s true for younger people as they’re watching. Older people have accomplished something to be honored for and so it gives younger people something to look forward to aspire to. And it’s a sense of value of what’s really important.”

Senior Macie Thompson shares advice for high school students and what she is looking forward to most during graduation.

“I’m most excited to walk and get my diploma,” Thompson said. “I think that it will be so fun and that I will feel very accomplished. My advice to anyone in high school would be to have fun! Try to step outside your comfort zone and trust God in every circumstance!”

The following tweet features a video from last year’s graduation where the Fresno Christian choir performed.

Seniors Alex Rurik and John Monke will be giving the student addresses before the student recognitions. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer will be giving the graduation address before the diploma presentations.

Suky Cheema, ’19, explains why he is excited to walk down the aisle and receiving his diploma with his classmates.

“I’ve been at FCS since my 8th grade year,” Cheema said. “What I’m most excited about graduation is being able to accomplish such a feat with all of my peers. The one piece of advice I would give to anyone is high school is to be sure to try new things. Don’t be scared to go out of your comfort zone.”

[/media-credit] The class of 2018 toss their caps after last year’s graduation.

Sophomore Faith Monroy attended the last four graduations and appreciates the meaning and significance of  the event.

“My favorite part is either when one the students just talk about their time here because we can really relate to it or when all the teachers walk down,” Monroy said. “It’s a very emotional time at graduation because you see all your old teachers, and I feel bad for the newcomers because they don’t know the significance of what is happening.”

Seniors must arrive at the Peoples Church main auditorium at 6 p.m. for pictures, while graduation starts at 7 p.m.

For last year’s article on graduation, read Join the Discussion: FCS graduation 2018. For more articles, read Senior reflection: Alex Rurik or Track finishes season breaks multiple school records.

Annabelle Messer also contributed to this article and can be reached via Twitter. 

Vijay Stephen can be reached via email and Twitter.