Former teacher opens for Bob Dylan

Since Amos Lee traveled with Bob Dylan to open his tour last year, Lee’s career skyrocketed as a singer and songwriter. Supply and Demand is his latest CD and it seems innovative and fresh.

Although Lee was a schoolteacher in Philadelphia, he sought a career involving music. He created lyrics which coincide with an upbeat rhythm.

Lee’s band seems to transform the songs. Although I believe Lee’s talents as a singer are evident in his latest album, his back-up impacts the listener.

Fred Berman’s experience shows on drums. Berman began playing at the age of five when he was inspired by Ringo Starr from the Beatles.

Jaron Olevsky plays both the bass and keyboards; he began at the age of fourteen. Olevsky started on the piano, but his mother wanted him to play the bass.

One of my favorite songs by Amos Lee is “Sweet Pea.” The first line of the song is “sweet pea apple of my eye you?re the only reason I keep on comin’ home.” The song seems to have a soft melody supported by strong lyrics.

“Sweet Pea” is easy listening, despite a syncopated rhythm. The listener tends to focus on Lee’s sturdy voice, which is accompanied by minor parts of both the drums and guitar.

Another personal favorite is “Night Train.” Lee sings, “Well, in a little country station out there in the mid-west, I see the people out there waiten’ hearts beaten in their chest.”

Lee’s ability to sing softly, allows the band to control the tempo. Although Lee seems to sing with sadness, the listener seems comforted by his voice.

I believe Lee’s expertise is demonstrated considering his wide variety of beats. Lee appears to keep surprising the industry with his new rhythms that put a listener into a surreal mood.