Happy Feet breaks box office

A piercing wind howls in the distance, whirling over a vast expanse of white. Only hills and drifts of powder are visible, dipping low into a valley. Amongst the glaciers and sheets of ice lies a stretch of snow that is skewed with tufts of black dots. Closer inspection reveals a flock of emperor penguins preparing to nest.

Happy Feet opens with a stunning introduction into the icecaps of the Antarctic. The viewer is given entrance into a whimsical world of music and laughter ruled by penguins.

It is the tale of a misfit penguin named Mumble, who struggles from hatchling to adulthood to be like the other penguins. Mumble is unable to sing, and cannot perform the heart song to attract a mate.

When the fish supply begins to dwindle, the elder penguins blame Mumble and exile him from the flock. Forced to leave his family and friends behind, Mumble sets out to find the true source of the famine.

Through a perilous journey that leads him halfway across the globe, Mumble not only discovers a solution for the famine. Instead he finds peace within himself and self-respect.

The penguin’s journey presents a positive message for children and adults alike. It conveys a theme of encouragement for anyone who does not quite fit in.

After its release in early November, Happy Feet continues to awe critics as it remains in the top 10 weekend box office hits and continues to sell out showings.

I loved Happy Feet for the message it presented to children and its ability to also relate to teens and adults. It offered a different perspective on pollution, taken from an animal’s point of view.

It was a great family movie that provides entertainment for all ages. I would recommend it to anyone and strongly suggest it for young children because of the positive themes presented in the movie.