Class of 2024 heads to Calvin Crest

Students bond during week at camp

[/media-credit] The class of 2023 traveled up to Calvin Crest last year to experience games, nature walks, and class bonding activities.

Crazy hair nights, team bonding activities and nature trails await the class of 2024, Sept. 9-13. Surrounded by the Sierra National Forest, 51 eighth graders head up to Calvin Crest in Oakhurst, CA to connect as a class and learn about God.

A group of high school students travel up the hill each year as counselors for the week. Eight upperclassmen accompany the class this year, along with teachers Hallie Rojeski, Amy Friesen and John Martin.

Former junior high science teacher Terry Richards has traveled to Calvin Crest with eighth graders for the past 20 years. Due to health complications in Fall 2018, Richards is unable to visit the camp this year. Students and teachers keep him in mind as they experience the first year of Calvin Crest without his attendance.

Senior Deborah Ingerson headed up to camp with the eighth graders last year. Returning for her second counselor experience, Ingerson looks forward to meeting her cabin group and playing games.

“My favorite part of Calvin crest was the the skit night,” Ingerson said. “I really enjoyed being in the skit and watching my cabin perform skits. I learned how to be a leader for a group of girls and how to help with their problems. I’m most excited to meet my girls and have a good time playing games and learning in the chapels.”

Students meet in the Peoples Church parking lot at 7:40 a.m. and the group leaves at 8. They plan to return to the school around noon, Sept. 13.

Have you ever been a Calvin Crest camper or counselor? Share memories or favorite moments in the comments below!

For more articles, read ‘Lover’ unveils story of transformation, contrasts previous album or Kayla Vanderlinden shines light on, off the court. 

Addison Schultz can be reached via email and via Twitter.