New Year’s resolutions lack commitment

10, 9, 8?Finally the new year begins. January 1 greets all of us annually with expectations for a better year. Many try to prevent previous failures, by making and hopefully keeping resolutions.

Anyone is able to make a New Year?s resolution, staying committed to it is what is difficult.

According to Kristin Edelhauser?s Jan. 2, 2007, article, ?New Year’s resolutions from top entrepreneurs,? weight loss is a main commitment according to a recent study by Corporate Research International (www.entrepreneur.com).

The goal may be to visit the gym every day. However, even by mid-January these “daily gym” trips often turn into a weekly occurrence. Soon the venture transforms into nothing more than a sporadic outing. What is left is a broken promise and a pot-belly full of doubt and regret.

Lest we feel too guilty about our feet of clay, new year’s resolution have become something of, unfortunately a holiday tradition.

Those failed resolutions give the impression that defeat is acceptable. Today?s society allows, and may actually expect, people to renege on their resolutions. Instead of compromising self-established goals every year, New Year resolutions should reflect a lifestyle choice. One’s conscience can easily accept adopting healthy eating habits rather than endure a shattered ethical code.

For many, the main objective for these yearly commitments is based upon a genuine desire for self-improvement. This compares to the Catholic tradition of Lent. Jesus prayed and fasted for 40 days. In commemoration, practicing Catholics sacrifice something of value each year for the same time period.

For some, though, resolutions are shallow and easily broken. These days, promises to temporarily surrender soda or chocolate contrast with sacrifices which assure spiritual growth. By Jan. 15, however, many of those who made supposed “easy” resolutions such as no soda or chocolate have already downed a six-pack of Coca Cola with a pound of See?s candy.

If sacrifices are made for only a few weeks a year, what has been truly forfeited? It takes effort and focus to give up habits. It takes genuine commitment to make a lifestyle choice.

For example, let?s say a New Year?s resolution of daily exercise is accomplished. However, after 365 days, the year is finished. What reason is there to continue? Has the resolution expired?

Resolutions are often repeated from year to year, creating one meaningless resolution, after another. True desires are ignored, setting up a scenario for personal failure sprinkled with self-esteem problems.

If the purpose of resolutions is to enjoy a boost of self-confidence through the act of keeping them, then go for it. However, if a resolution is to be meaningful, then make sure it becomes a permanent lifestyle choice.