2nd annual Eagle Fest unites FCS community, benefits campus programs

Fall festival showcases student groups in carnival atmosphere

[/media-credit] Eagle Fest features eight inflatables, new booths and food to interest students and adults in one event, Sept. 20, 5-8 p.m.

Returning to the FCS community on Sept. 20, Eagle Fest features food, drinks and games where profits benefit various programs within the school.

The first Eagle Fest in 2018 welcomed hundreds of students and families. Admission is free, and the event focuses on bringing together the school with a carnival-like atmosphere, food and activities.

Eagle Fest takes place on the FC North field, 5-8 p.m. For unlimited use of the inflatables, pre-sale wristbands sell for $15  and $20 at the event. Food, games, and activities tickets sell for $1 each.

FCS alumna Christine Petersen, ‘95, oversees the planning of Eagle Fest. Petersen states that this year’s event contains similar attractions with the addition of several new booths.

“This year will be similar to last year in the sense we will have inflatables, games and food for all to enjoy,” Petersen said. “What will be new this year are some of the booths we have.  You will see a photo booth, balloon art, corn hole and more! It is sure to be a great time that you will not want to miss.”

Petersen believes that Eagle Fest benefits the FCS community due to the fond memories that the event brings. She stresses the involvement of everyone coming together to support the school.   

“As one of the event organizers,” Petersen said, “I believe this event brings the FCS community together in a casual environment to interact and support some of our school programs such as band, choir, drama, cheer and sports. One of the leading factors that initiated my desire to plan the Eagle Fest was the belief that all schools should have a community event. Families can come together and students can build fond memories of their school experience.”

[/media-credit] This chart displays ticket prices and activities, including the the ticket cost for food and activities.

Last year, the event revolved around food trucks, bounce houses and a dunk tank starring staff members. Along with these, this year’s festival will include a photo booth, corn hole and eight inflatables.

The food trucks consist of Konies (corn dogs, hot dogs, chili, and fries), Sweeties (cotton candy, lemonade, and kettle corn), and a pizza booth. The elementary and junior high cheer teams perform during the fair as well. 

While the choir is not performing at Eagle Fest, it’s too hard to sing outside without lots of amplification, director Susan Ainley has three families running booths as a fundraiser for Nashville.

“Several choir families will be running booths for the Eagle Fest,” Ainley said, “as a fundraiser for our trip to Nashville in March 2010.  For the kid’s enjoyment, there will be a Country Cupcake Walk, a Crazy Hair and Tattoo Parlor, and a Critter Country Balloon Animal booth.”

Superintendent Jeremy Brown voices his expectations for this year’s Eagle Fest and hopes parents involvement rises even more this year.

“Our hopes and expectations are that our families will participate with as much or more enthusiasm than they did last year,” Brown said. “Our community loves to support each other and that is apparent at events like Eagle Fest where our groups not only perform but host booths and generally make fundraising fun!”

Brayden Iest talks with Faith Monroy, ’21, about performing at Eagle Fest 2018. In the following podcast, Monroy shares about the experience of performing a cheer routine at Eagle Fest.

Students belonging to the various programs supported by Eagle Fest will assist the event by running the activities and booths that directly fund them. Color Guard worked the face painting booth and band ran four various booths to fund their Hawaii trip. 

In her third year of band, Ava Garcia, ’23, enjoys seeing the FCS community come together for Eagle Fest and enjoy their time together. Garcia helped support the band program by volunteering at the popcorn and candy booth during last year’s Eagle Fest.

“Eagle fest is good for the school because it shows that students and parents care enough about our school,” Garcia said. “They are helping out with the fun booths we have while enjoying themselves with their family. It’s fun to hang out with friends and interact with people and watch people enjoy themselves.”

Hoping to raise money for the drama program, first year director Megan Conner and the drama students run four booths. Conner desires to use their proceeds to fund upcoming productions and her mind contains large aspirations for her first year.

“At Eagle Fest, our drama program, Spotlight Productions, will be hosting 4 booths: Photo Booth, Corn Hole, Cookie Decorating, and the Soda Float Bar,” Conner said. “The money we raise through this event will go to funding our new theater company (Spotlight Productions) so we can not only put on multiple productions this year, but also offer the first ever tap class at FCS.” 

[/media-credit] Along with snow cones and cotton candy, dinner options are available for purchase at Eagle Fest, Sept. 20.

As a part of the girls soccer team‘s participation, Rebekah Micu, ‘20, assisted in the selling of food and drinks during last year’s Eagle Fest for the benefit of raising money for soccer. Micu recommends students to get involved and support campus teams and clubs.

“I was helping raise money for the girls soccer program,” Micu said. “Some of the things I did was sell pizza, water, different types of sodas, and Gatorade. I had a great time because the atmosphere around me was very friendly and easy going. I highly recommend coming out and supporting Fresno Christian at this event.”

For anyone who wants to get involved with Eagle Fest, contact Christine Peterson by email: [email protected].

For more articles, read 2019-’20 class representatives share vision for school year and Column: President strives for inclusivity.

Brayden Iest can be reached via Twitter and email.

2018-’19 Eagle Fest brings FCS community together, Sept. 20.