• Choir at Anaheim Heritage Festival, 4/12-4/14
  • FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Girls’ soccer rebuilds after 2001 Valley Championship

Superstars smiled and posed as flashing lights captured the moment of victory, including a make-up of mud. Women’s soccer grabbed the Valley Championship in the West Sierra League last season over Templeton in February, 2001.

Even though coach Robert Foshee directs the team with six years of coaching behind him, the team is expecting a rough season. The team lost nine seniors including The Fresno Bee’s first team all-star, Jamie Peterson, ’01. This season’s team carries only two seniors

Foshee is counting on, The Fresno Bee’s second team all star, Gina Arabia, ’03, and newcomer Katie Jacobson, ’05, to show leadership and determination on the field.

“Their attitude shows that they want to get better,” coach Foshee said, “They have good work ethics and work well together.”

Jacobson is no rookie when it comes to soccer. She has seven years under her belt, while competing in the FC league and Clovis Club team. Last year she received Coach’s Award, in the seventh grade she was captain of her club team.

A friend of Jacobson invited her to get involved in soccer. Jacobson took up the offer, thus beginning her career as a soccer player. She enjoys scoring goals in the games. This sport not only requires attitude but willingness to execute plays and score in all types of weather conditions.

“It’s fun getting dirty,” Jacobson said, “When I was younger I used to use mud as a slip in slide.”

“I love playing in mud for soccer,” Arabia, ’03, said, “It’s the best part. You get to play in any weather, if it’s hot or cold or even raining–that’s soccer.”

Arabia has participated in FC league and Clovis Club since the first grade. Her club team has been undefeated for two years in a row and went to State Cup, but left with a loss.

This dynamite athlete fills the position of center mid and forward. She has been awarded offensive MVP and second team All-Valley.

Arabia not only enjoys playing sports but wants to have a future playing soccer. She is hoping to get a soccer scholarship for college.

The coach also has experience in coaching and playing soccer.

Foshee played soccer in high school, and two years at Bethany College. Foshee coached Bethany’s men’s college soccer team. He coached three years at FC, while leading the team his first year as runner-up champions. His second year at FC, the team was Valley Champions and The Fresno Bee named him Coach of the Year. He also received Coach of the Year from the WSL last year.

The next women’s soccer game is Dec. 13 at Caruthers and will play at the Garces Tournament Dec. 20-21.