Talent show contestants audition

Every high school student must face speeches in English class, and the fear of embarrassment that accompanies it. However, some students confront performing anxieties by practicing their stage skills. Along with speech practice, the West Sierra League (WSL) talent show gives students a chance to display their abilities.

The talent show tryouts return for its annual competition on Jan. 25-26. Students will perform for teachers and a leadership panel in Ground Zero at lunch.

The judges will pick two students to represent the school at shows for other WSL schools. The contestants from all schools will present their acts for the students in seven WSL schools and in Ground Zero on March 1.

Last year Mike Prentice, ?08, and Derek O?Brien, ?08, won the band competition. Their composition included of lead guitar and drums.

“The talent show was a great experience and taught me a lot about performing,? Prentice said. ?We improved our song and stage presence very much and look forward to seeing new hopefuls do well too.?

Taylor Torrence, ?08, looks forward to trying out for the first time. He hopes to impress the panel of judges with his turntable scratching.

?I really hope I can go on to compete at other schools,? Torrence said. ?This event is a great opportunity to perform for my peers; I have been practicing very hard and want to be successful.?

Individual talents and band are the two categories available to compete in. Campus participants have succeeded in the past two years, in both categories. Christoff Shnur, ’05, a German exchange student, won the individual category two years ago with his accordion playing.

His success and Prentice and O’Brien’s, are a motivation for this year’s contestants to continue the tradition.

“Although I would be nervous, I want to sing for the talent show,” Hanna Wilhelm, ’07, said. “I like how the school has a way for students to showcase their talents. I think more students should give it a chance because we won’t able to do things like this all the time.”

To participate in this year?s talent show, please attend the tryouts in Ground Zero on Jan. 25-26. Lyrics for music must be presented at audition.

?We look for things like originality, distinct talent and a polished performance,? Josh Tosland, leadership adviser, said. ?It is really important how we represent our school.?

For more information regarding WSL check out Taylor Torrence?s Nov. 13, article, WSL unites, rivals cooperate.. For information on talent show planning visit Claire Kister’s Jan. 25, article, Competitors merge to motivate.