Competitors merge to motivate

A group of leadership students dressed up in boots and cowboy hats for their monthly West Sierra League (WSL) meeting on Jan. 29. Dos Palos hosted the ?Giddy Up and Get Motivated? themed event, in hope of creating a positive atmosphere for the leaders of each campus.

The morning began with a brief tour of Dos Palos, which allowed the visiting leaders to become acquainted with the campus and its student body. Dos Palos representatives then provided doughnuts and refreshments as well as a time for conversation.

?I know some of the student leaders from other schools,? Abby Schoettler, ?09, said, ?but when we dressed up in our western attire it helped create a conversation making the situation less awkward.?

FC?s president, senior Jeremy Ramos, opened the meeting and discussed the main upcoming issue, the WSL Talent Show.

?This WSL meeting was important because this was a time for the leaders from other schools to come together and plan the annual talent show,? Ramos said. ?The talent show competition sparks school spirit and it is crucial that we are well organized for this event.?

At the meeting, students agreed on the theme “One Sweet Show,” for the upcoming Talent Show on Mar. 1. The decorations will include bright colored balloons and large paper cut-outs of candied sweets inspired from the board game Candyland.

After a discussion students played a variety of team building games to unite the leaders of neighboring schools. One of the games forced WSL participants to learn students names from other schools by throwing tennis balls outside in a large circle.

?It is essential to have fun games that help us get to know each other better,? Samantha Krikorian, ?08, said. ?I believe the games brought us closer together and helped us cooperate better as a group.?

When the meeting concluded, students walked across the street to the local pizza factory and continued the talent show conversation.

For more information concerning the talent show, visit Suzanna Quiring’s Jan. 23, article, Talent show contestants set to audition. For more information on WSL, visit Taylor Torrence’s Nov. 13, article, WSL unites, rivals cooperate.