Defender sweeps, breaks leg

A Coast Union striker dribbled the ball up the field with the score, 0-0, when the match came to a halt.

With five seconds remaining in the game, junior sweeper Coleton Hutchins stole the ball from the Bronco forward. Then, just as Hutchins was preparing to send it into open space, the Coast player allegedly kicked Hutchins, who fell to the ground.

“When Coleton was kicked, I thought to myself ‘our team is in trouble’,” Shane Darakjian, ’09, said. “His injury made a definite impact on our defense.”

That night, Hutchins went to St. Agnes Hospital for x-rays. When the doctors found out he broke his tibia, they prepared him immediately for surgery the next day.

“When he kicked me, I knew something was definitely wrong,” Hutchins said. “I knew that it was not a sprain or a hard kick, because I’ve had both; and it hurt much more. It was even more painful than when I broke my pinkie freshman year. I dealt with the pain, though, by taking lots of painkillers and watching TV.”

Due to his injury, Hutchins will remain on the bench for the rest of the season. Although Hutchins has full walking capability, he must attend physical therapy for another 20 weeks.

“I will have been on crutches for a month on Jan. 29,” Hutchins said. “I’ve had to slow down the pace of my life because I am usually very involved with school and playing sports; I’ve even had to slow down going short distances such as my next class.”

“I don’t like sitting on the sidelines,” Hutchins said. “All I want to do is play in the games because this is suppose to be the best year for the guys team. I really want to help my team win our games, but I can’t anymore.”

With Hutchins gone, the team has decided to change the positions around and make Jeremy Ramos, ’07, the new sweeper.

“Not having Coleton hurts the team a lot,” Tyler Enns, ’07, said. “He was our best defender on the team.”

Hutchins’ goal is to return in March for baseball season. Meanwhile, his teammates will miss Hutchins’ attitude and skill on the field.

“Coleton was a beast among men,” Vincent Cabias, ’09, said. “He always had a positive attitude and he was always encouraging. He was a leader, and we miss his intensity.”

For more information contact coach Matt Markarian at 709-4392. For information on individual games click Boys’ soccer sport shorts.

For their SWSL standing and stats, click here on MaxPreps SWSL boys’ soccer.