PROMO: Daddy Daughter Date Night connects community, supports campus instrumental department

Country-themed event attracts parents, students

[/media-credit] Band students (from left to right) Tryphena Gunawan, ’24, and Rachel Martin, ’24, participated in last year’s Daddy Daughter Date Night.

The second annual Fresno Christian Daddy Daughter Date Night is just ahead, 6-8 p.m., Oct. 11. With the theme of Boots and Beauties, the event encourages attendees to wear country-themed attire. A traditional tri-tip barbeque meal and a s’mores dessert station will be provided along with games and country music.

Girls from kindergarten through 12th grade invite their father, grandfather, uncle or another special male guest to accompany them for a night out. Campus instrumental director Leslie Bannister started the event to fundraise for the band and color guards’ upcoming trip to Hawaii. Bannister shares about the first date night and its success.

“Our first daddy-daughter date night last year was a smashing success,” Bannister said. “We had about 300 people show up and it was so fun to watch dads and other special male guests spend quality time with their girls last year!”

Similar to last year when the theme was ’50s Sock Hop’, the evening will be held in the Peoples Church gym. Last year, girls dressed in poodle skirts and polka dots, while some of the men even brought out their old high school letterman jackets.

A color guard member for the past four years, Brennen Tozlian, ‘21, participates in FC activities and plans on helping during the event. He shares on his experience working last year’s Daddy Daughter Date night.

“I am excited for the upcoming Daddy Daughter Date night on Friday,” Tozlian said. “This event benefits us for our upcoming November Hawaii trip by making lots of money.  This type of fundraising is a lot more fun than going around selling chocolates or flowers.”

[/media-credit] Last year, the Daddy Daughter Date Night was themed ’50s sock hop’.

The evening full of activities helps raise money for the upcoming band and color guard trip to Hawaii taking place in late November. Both groups are set to perform routines at Pearl Harbor for Veterans Day. In addition to performing, they will also attend a clinic for extended practice with other high schools.

During the event, band and color guard members will lead attendees in line dancing to popular country songs. Tozlian shares about his experience practicing the dances in class.

“This year is cowboy themed and we had to learn new dances like the trendy ‘The Git Up’ dance,” Tozlain said. “We have been taking time out of class to learn some of the different line dances and we used our whole block period to go over all of the dances.”

Elementary Principal, Katie Reneau shares on her involvement with the Daddy Daughter Date Night. Reneau encourages students and guardians to attend the fundraising event.

“Last year my role was to support and to attend,” Reneau said. “My husband and my daughter attended last year, I even brought my dad as well. It was a great community event for all of us to be there and show support for the school” 

“I’m a big supporter for people to get together in community and get to know one another for a good cause,” Reneau continued. “I love that this new type of creative fundraising  gives parents an intentional way to speak into kids and be present and partner with other families as well.”

In the following podcast, Lesley Bannister continuers her views on the upcoming Daddy Daughter dance, Oct. 11.

Third grader Elissa Jacobs shares her excitement for the dance which she has never attended before. 

“I am excited for the food,” Jacobs said. “I’m not a huge fan of mash potatoes though. I am excited to dress up. I’m going to dance with my Dad and have a blast. This will be my first Daddy Daughter Date Night.”

Taking place in the Peoples Church gym, the Daddy Daughter Date Night will take place from 6-8 p.m., Oct. 11. Unfortunately, ticket sales are already closed for the event but students can look forward to other upcoming band activities such as their performance at the Fresno Veteran’s Parade, Nov. 11.

Faith Monroy can be reached via email.

For more articles read, Aimee Castañeda displays passion through singing, performing or 35th annual homecoming unifies community, supports local nonprofit

The slideshow below includes images from the first annual Daddy Daughter Date Night and information about this year’s special night, Oct. 11.