Job benefits exceed monetary compensation

As students grow older, many seek ways to prepare for life after high school. Developing study habits, social skills and getting a driver?s license all serve this purpose; however some overlook getting a part-time job.

?I think that a job helps you become more independent,? Wolfgang Dunn, ?08, said. ?With a job, you can show your parents that you?re responsible and can pay for a few of your own things.?

A first job often serves as training in responsibility and serves as groundwork for future jobs.

“For some students, a job can be beneficial,” Principal Gary Schultz said; “but for most students, it’s best to focus on the full-time job of school instead.”

Many find incentive in salaries when in search of work.

?Making money is great, of course,? Michael Bowen, ’08, said. ?Sometimes the salary seems small, but the hours add up quick.?

According to Ralph Mazzela, small business owner and entrepreneur, low salaries are common for teenage employees.

?As teenagers, employees probably shouldn?t expect large paychecks,? Mazzela said. ?Their age and inexperience typically doesn?t merit big salaries, but showing hard work and responsibility can help change that.?

Though many students want a job, employers expect certain requirements. Mazzela recommends students maintain grades in addition to a positive attitude.

?You need to make sure to show your boss that you?re responsible and mature while working,? Annie Spees, ?07, said. ?Not wasting time and staying on task definitely helps.?

Many employers suggest proper attire and using a strong tone when finding work.

“First impression is the deciding factor, when applying for the job,” Taryn Brown, ’08, said. “If you show up sloppy, they’re obviously less likely to hire you.”

Brown began work at Jamba Juice seven months ago, and usually works four-hour shifts, three days a week.

“At first I thought it’s cool to earn extra money,” Brown said, “but it’s a lot deeper than that. You learn responsibility and start preparing for college early. This way college isn’t such a shock and you get a taste of reality.”

For further information on summer employment opportunities contact the local Educational Development Department (EDD) at (559) 244-7610.