Stars prepare for movie night

As students view their favorite movies on the big screen, they cannot help but wonder what would happen if they were able to act in and direct their own feature film. Night of the Stars allows this dream to be realized and acted upon, as students are able to make their own class production of their favorite movies and view them at the Feb. 9 event.

Night of the Stars is the campus equivalent to a winter formal. It is a time where students and faculty can watch and enjoy each class’ movie in a formal atmosphere. The price of the tickets is $20 up to a certain date that will be announced and $25 after.

“Our expectation this year is that students create their own movie,” Christopher Schultz, student activities director, said, “rather than just remaking the real movie. We want the students to actually write their own script, develop their own plot and actually make their own sequel.”

Each year, students must come up with their version and script of a movie in a specific category. This year’s category is sequels to well-known movies that do not have sequels.

“This year should be interesting as all of these movies will be made up by students,” third year Night of the Stars producer Julie Fujihara, ’03, said. “I hope that my class can again produce another great movie and that it will be as much fun as last year.”

Each year the night commences with photo opportunities for the attending couples by Jeff Smith’s Photique. Then, the attendees sit down to a gourmet four course catered meal from Grand Occasions paid for by their ticket fees. After an hour of pictures and dining, students relax and enjoy watching and laughing at their and their peers performances on screen.

“If you want to go out and have fun with a girl this is the place to do it,” Sam Babcock, ’02, said. “I enjoyed the movies last year and I think the seniors will easily be the best this year.”

Night of the Stars will feature a different leadership role this year, with a six-member production board for each class.

“This is my first year on the council and I hope to make the movie fabulous,” Michael Abajian, ’04, said. “I wasn’t involved in the production of the movie last year but this year will be different.”

At the conclusion of the evening, awards are given out in different categories of the various fields of film production. A board composed of faculty members or outside judges vote on the awards. There is also a special time before the night, where parents can view each movie and vote on the Parent’s Choice Award for best movie.

For more information on Night of the Stars, contact Schultz or any student leader.