FCC administers placement test

Fresno City College will administer the College Test of English Placement (CTEP) to approximately 20 students on Feb. 13.

“Basically the test lets us know how much you know,” Michele Ruby, assessment technician, said. “The test is not required, but students in interested in attending Fresno City College or Clovis Center should take the test. You do not need to take the test if you have the experience at another college.”

The test evaluates reading, writing and arithmetic. Results ensure students will be placed in proper classes.

“The students who finish in the top 10% are ready for an university,” Ruby said. “About 50% place in the level lower than that. Then there are the students who slept through high school and take remedial courses.”

After 17 years of administering the test, Ruby believes students are unable to prepare because the test assess basic skills.

“I think I’m going to do well on the test,” Chris Erickson, ’07, said. “I’m trying to get into the honors program, then transfer once I know what I want to do.”

Students have an hour to complete the English section and 45 minutes for the math portion. Although a test retake is possible after 3-months, this the only time the test will be given on campus. Results are valid for three years.

“If there is a chance you are going to go there, even a slight chance a student should take it. It’s convenient to take it here,” Jon Endicott, Associate Principal said. “If you are going to another college and this is one of your backup options take the test. In order to register for these two community colleges this is one of many steps to take.”