ClovisFest Starlight hot air balloon ride

[/media-credit] Families arrive early to see the colorful balloons depart from the rodeo grounds, Oct. 26.

ClovisFest returns to the Clovis rodeo grounds for another week of activities and community events. Hot air balloons return as well and continues to be one of the main attractions, with thousands of Fresno and Clovis citizens showing up to see the colorful balloons soar over their city, Oct. 26.

Journalist Addison Schultz, ’21, and photojournalist Avery Jones, ’20, see Clovis and Fresno from a different perspective as they ride in one of these balloons.

Schultz and Jones take to the skies to see Fresno county from a unique perspective. The two accompany long time pilot Peggy Watson Mikey in her hot air balloon, Starlight, to North Clovis.

In preparation for ClovisFest, local balloon organizer Bob Locklin belongs to the Cheers Aerial Media organization. He is also a pilot and often flies ReMax balloons and is also the balloonmeister for the ClovisFest Fun Fly; he has taken Feather students above ground on this balloon adventure in the past to promote the event.

Every year, balloons take off from the rodeo grounds as a key part of this event. Seeing the hot air balloons take off draws thousands of families and locals to the event each year.

Did you know? The balloon that these students rode in uses enough air to fill up 90,000 basketballs!

Thank you to Bob Lockin and Peggy Watson Mikey for offering this opportunity.

In the video below, video journalist Ethan Hamm recaps the Feather staffers preparation and ride in a hot air balloon:

For more articles about ClovisFest, check out Feather journalists soar over the Valley, cover ClovisFest Fun Fly, ClovisFest 2019, and ClovisFest draws thousands to Old Town Clovis, unites community, Oct. 26-27

The author can be reached through email.