College tour steers CSF south

Although the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) began 17 years ago, adviser Ellen King created a tour of various universities to help students with their college goals.

CSF will embark on the annual college trip to southern California, March 7-10. This opportunity is available to only junior and senior members. The $250 fee covers gas, hotel expenses and parking.

?Our goal is to expose the students to a variety of colleges,? King said. ?We want to give the students options, because not everyone can get into just one college.?

CSF will view six campuses. The first two days of the tour will cover universities in the San Diego area. Colleges include: University of California San Diego (UCSD), San Diego State University (SDU) and Point Loma.

Students will visit Vanguard and the University of California Irvine (UCI) and stay overnight at Embassy suites in Irvine, on March 9. On the last day, they will tour University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), before returning.

?I really enjoyed the trip last year because I got to see a lot of different colleges,? senior Kristen Amerine, CSF president, said. ?It really showed you what college you would see yourself in.?

The group is expected to leave campus at 3 P.M. and return at 9 P.M.

?I want to go on the trip because I think it would help me learn more about different colleges and universities,? Sean O?Neal, ’08, said. ?I think it will broaden my spectrum of life.?

The entire CSF staff next plans to visit Valley Children?s Hospital during the same month. However, the date is still pending.

?We will be reading to kids for the Literacy fair at Valley Children?s Hospital,? Amerine said. ?It gives the kids a chance to give us their favorite books for us to read to them.?