PROMO: Campus instrumental department performs in fall concert, Nov. 7.

FC band, Eagle band, percussion perform in Fresno’s 100th Veterans Day Parade

[/media-credit] FC band performs at most home football games while eagle band has joined them for the last two games.

With the rising fall weather, FC Band, Eagle Band and percussion prepare for their first fall concert, Nov. 7. Filled with many songs and cadences, this performance entitled “Land That I Love” will be held in the SMC from 6:30-7:30 p.m.

Enthusiastic about the upcoming performance, Lesley Bannister shares insight on their preparation as well as her favorite song from the performance. Teaching at FCS for six years, Bannister currently teaches third to 12th grade instrumental music.

“I love seeing all of the students’ hard work come to fruition,” Bannister said, “my favorite song is Hallelujah. It is a challenging piece and I love Leonard Cohen’s version of the song. The students have worked really hard on it and it sounds beautiful. They spend so much time practicing and rehearsing, and it is exciting to see them perform for their peers and families.”

With the total number of performers reaching 39, Caleb Eldridge, ’26, is confident they will do well. Eldridge has been playing clarinet in Eagle band for two years. He shares his optimism for the night’s performance.

“I’m looking forward to the parents being proud of everyone that’s there,” Eldridge said. “We are performing songs called ‘March of the Champions’ and ‘Veteran’s Day Parade’.”

[/media-credit] Contrary to most years, the FCS instrumental department will perform in a fall concert, Nov. 7, as opposed to a Christmas concert.

Band and percussion have been working on patriotic music to perform for their upcoming Hawaii trip this November. They decided a Veterans Day concert would be a fun change from their previous Christmas concerts.

Selah Draper, ‘22, has been playing alto saxophone for six years. Playing for FC band, she shares her favorite song and excitement for the upcoming year. Some of the featured songs include “Blessings“, “Hallelujah“, “Star-Spangled Banner“, “Patriotic Parades” and “Armed Forces on Parade“.

“I look forward to us all growing,” Draper said, “maybe we can learn some really hardcore songs that can help with the band. Hallelujah is probably my favorite song that we will perform just because it sounds so pretty when everyone mixes together.”

Make sure to go support band and percussion in the SMC from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to hear various patriotic-themed music.

Campus instrumental students will also be marching in the 100th Annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade, Nov. 11, starting at 10 a.m.

Fresno’s parade is the largest in the United States and this year the theme is patriotism, honoring all branches of the military. Dan Payne, retired U.S. Marine Corps, is the lead grand marshal. Speakers begin at 10 a.m. in front of City Hall, 2600 Fresno St. The FC band, color guard and percussion will perform as well during Fresno’s parade and marching begins at 11:11 a.m., Nov. 11.

For the first time, food vendors will be at the parade and parade “swag” will be on sale. For last year’s parade story, read 99th annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade spotlights Air Force.

Finally, the band is preparing for their trip to Hawaii, Nov. 20-25, 2019. They will and in Oahu and perform on a few occasions. More on this trip in a later Feather article.

For more articles, read FC band presents ‘The Music of Disneyland’, ClovisFest draws thousands to Old Town Clovis, unites community, Oct. 26-27, and 99th annual Fresno Veterans Day Parade.

Zoe Bull can be reached via email and via Twitter.

Zoe Bull
Zoe Bull, Journalist