Valentine’s Day embraces campus

When Valentine’s Day arrives, some plan to spend time with that special someone, while others stay home and watch TV.

“Thankfully, Valentine’s Day went really good for me this year,” Kimberly Swift, ’08, said. “It is just a day you can spend with your best friend and the one you love. I know Kyle (Brewer, ’07) has never been very big on the holiday, but he made it special for me in his own way.”

For those without Valentines, various groups on campus provided treats to celebrate or for those without Valentines, lighten the mood.

“I did not have a Valentine, but I still think it was a fun day,” Andrew McCormick, ’10, said. “I’m not really sad, though, because if I did have a Valentine, I probably would not have been able to do anything for her since I played in a basketball game that night.”

The leadership class sold Strawberry Crush sodas to send from secret admirers. The soda cost $1 for purchase and delivery. The recipient had the option of paying $1 to reveal the identity of their “crush”, unless the sender sprung for an additional $1 to keep their identity anonymous.

“I thought the Strawberry Crushes were a great idea,” Kevin Damm, ’09, said, “and I’m glad that we (student leadership) passed them out. I think it was creative and next year, it will be more popular because we’ll advertise for it a little earlier.”

California Scholarship Federation (CSF) sold baked goods at lunch, the earnings of which will fund the purchase of Dr. Seuss books for patients at Children?s Hospital of Central California.

“The bake sale was a good chance to raise money for the kids,” Katelyn Aydelotte, ’08, said. “I think we would’ve raised more money, though, if it wasn’t on Valentine’s Day since many people already had sweets.”

Although campus plans for Valentines Day next year are unknown, some look forward to it.

“I had to baby-sit the night of Valentine’s Day,” Ellie Mullins, ’09, said, “but luckily I got done a little bit early. I’m really happy that I have a Valentine; I can’t wait for next year.”