Music and Lyrics elicit chuckles

To be honest, I was not expecting much from the film Music and Lyrics, but I was willing to give it a shot. Sure, the movie starred romantic comedy stars, Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant, but the plot sounded cheesy and unoriginal.

Alex Fletcher (Grant), the ex-member of an iconic, pop-tart eighties band ironically called PoP, lives with the knowledge that only post-menopausal women idolize him and his first solo album sold next to no copies.

In an attempt to captivate the lost public eye, Fletcher performs at theme parks and county fairs. He is then presented with the opportunity to write a song for the pop star, Cora Corman (Haley Bennett), and perform it with her in concert. However, a problem arises; Fletcher cannot write a rhyme for his life.

With seemingly perfect timing, gardener, Sophie Fisher (Barrymore) impresses Fletcher with her knack for poetry. He hires her as his new lyricist and together they compose romantic lyrics with a catchy tune to Corman’s only prerequisite, the song title “Way Back Into Love”.

Fletcher and Fisher spend the next few days arguing over lyrics, melody and inspiration. Their conversations are quick and witty, with a perfect balance of playful banter. Unlike many romantic comedies, the bickering is directed at a charming minimum instead of the usual obnoxious maximum.

When the two finally finish a demo of their tune, Corman morphs the wholesome love song into a provocative beat accompanied by sensual dance moves. This leads to a heated argument between Fletcher and Fisher, one who desires the return of his fame, the other wishes to retain the innocence of the song.

The end is, of course, the perfect blend of silly and romantic, when Fletcher and Fisher fall in love, fight and fall back into love after Fletcher serenades Fisher in front of thousands of Corman fans.

This movie hooked audiences in the first few minutes with the opening credits accompanied by an 80s PoP music video entitled “PoP! Goes My Heart.” Nothing is better than watching Hugh Grant along with four other middle-aged men wearing tight, white pants and sweatbands. Their terrible dance moves and ridiculous lyrics aroused chuckles, too.

Music and Lyrics director Marc Lawrence, who previously worked with Grant in Two Weeks Notice, poked constant fun at modern pop divas and retro 80s rock bands. The hilarious effect was put into play by Cora’s skimpy ensembles, whacky religious preferences and crazy concert, which included pyrotechnics and back-up dancers.

Even Fletcher constantly mocks himself and his so-called “glory-days,” fully aware that he is washed up and not taking this blow to heart. Grant’s usual charisma filled his role and alongside Barrymore creates satisfying chemistry on the screen.

Music and Lyrics is a fun film with a spirited entrance onto the big screen. The movie was harmless fluff that will elicit a chuckle from all audiences, even the most adamant haters of romantic comedies.

The film is currently playing in theaters. Due to some sexual content, the film is rated PG-13. Parents may want to use caution when taking young children.