Flamenco transports customers to Spain

Juan and Anna Orgeta created an alternate Spanish world at Flamenco Tapas of Spain restaurant. Fountains, stained glass windows, hand-painted Spanish tiles and a bar area resembling a gypsy cave, transport a costumer from an ordinary dining experience to Western Europe.

Flamenco combines some family’s recipes, with imported ingredients to create an authentic menu. Although the menu contains salads, entrees and desserts, its signature menu items are the appetizers, called tapas.

The word tapa comes from the root word tapeo, which is the act of gathering together in friendship; Flamenco seems to aim for just that. Even though servings were very small for the price, the food is exquisite.

Tapas are priced between $3.50 and $9.50 each, sampler plates range from $16 to $18. Entrees begin at $4.25 and go to $29.50.

For my party of four, the bill totaled $72. I ordered tapas of chicken, for $8.50. The small portion of chicken was seasoned with different herbs. Although the meat was delicious and moist, I was still hungry and ordered an entree green salad for $12.

The salad was fresh, however the dressing was a little bland. My friend ordered the same appetizer and salad, while the other two in my group split an entree beet salad, which was the same size as mine.

The beets were flavored with an authentic seasoning and cost $13.95. They also ordered two side dishes, the grilled peppers for $7.50 and a cheese plate for $9.50.

Between the four of us and seven plates, we had an opportunity to sample everything. Although Flamenco offers a variety of desserts, we were too full to eat anything more.

I enjoyed the food and service, however I would not recommend bringing young children due to selection. Flamenco provides an authentic Spanish experience, for the adventurous eater. Although the portions are small, it was worth the price.

Flamenco is located at Riverview Shopping Center, 9415 N. Fort Washington Rd. Suite 101, in Fresno. The cross streets are Fort Washington and Friant Road. For more information, call Flamenco at (559) 434-6537.