LRC creates opportunities, exercises minds

As an athlete prepares for a sports season, a student must prepare for classes during the school year. The services provided by the Learning Resource Center (LRC) create an opportunity for students to exercise their mind, with a professional trainer.

The Learning Resource Center (LRC), located in the library on campus, offers two programs to assist students, the Resource Program and tutoring.

Debbie Siebert, Director of Curriculum and Instruction (K-12) and Director of Learning Resources first introduced the Resource Program (previously known as Discovery) 12 years ago.

?As a 5th grade teacher, I was frustrated because some of my students were struggling,? Siebert said. ?I knew they were smart, but they weren’t performing as well as they should.?

There are 30 students currently in the program, taught by seven credentialed teachers. Students meet twice a week for 80-minute sessions, over the course of three years. Although the program is tailored for individual students, the main objective is to develop strategic and effective information processing.

?I feel that as Christians we have the responsibility to build people up,? Siebert said, ?however some students are afraid to ask for help, when they shouldn?t.?

After a teacher or parent refers students, they must take an assessment test to check if the program would be beneficial.

Kory Thompson, ?11, began the Resource Program in fourth grade and completed sessions in seventh grade.

?When I started the program I hated reading; I wouldn?t even touch a book,? Thompson said. ?Now I love to read because I can actually comprehend the reading material and enjoy it.?

Secondary branch of LRC expands

Seven years later the LRC initiated the tutoring program, currently run by tutoring coordinator, George Freeman. Credentialed teachers, college, and high school students instruct the program.

?The tutors offer a different perspective on the subject a student is struggling with,? Freeman said. ?Similar to the Resource Program, the one-on-one atmosphere helps identify the particular area in which a student needs to improve. We are always in need of good students who are willing to give their time.?

The tutoring program is the larger of the two programs and includes 41 tutors and 50 students. The program offers instruction in any subject for 3-12 students.

?Tutoring benefits both the students and tutor,? Sean O?Neil, ?08, ?The one-on-one atmosphere creates a better learning environment because the student feels more comfortable.?

Siebert believes the LRC fulfills their goal by identifying the root of the problem rather than improve test scores temporarily.

?Unlike many schools which just offer life-jackets, we want to teach our students how to swim,? Siebert said. ?These programs give hope for the future, in a way students wouldn’t receive at a different school.?