Drama channels energy

At one time, I was a hermit. In the years leading up to my freshman year, I was antisocial and consequently depressed. However, as shy as I looked on the outside, I was just as hyperactive on the inside.

I finally found an outlet in 2003 for my perpetually caged energy in Tom McEntee?s English class.

After seeing my surplus of ?creative? energy, McEntee asked me to join drama at the end of the year. I had my reservations, having just ventured into the world of human interaction, but I realized the need to maintain my momentum.

So I took drama my sophomore year, nearly dropping it several times. My first performance was for the junior high and it was disastrous. I stuttered and sweated, committing mental suicide often while on stage.

However, after I had finished several shows and experienced some success; I discovered something that boosted my confidence: I had made people laugh.

Now in my senior year, I am in my church?s worship team, I have my own chapel show and I find it increasingly easier to talk to people.

While not only being one of the more enjoyable classes on campus, drama is also one of the few that provides skills that can be used in everyday life. Just as journalism helps with writing skills, so does participation in theatre invoke a self-respect (or a disregard for it) that gives a person a social advantage over the less-dramatized.

There is an asterisk, though. Should anyone take drama, let him/her be aware that once committed, the actor will soon find an energy that gives the appearance of being goofy.