Sid Craig School of Business prepares students for worldwide business, opportunities

Fresno State department offers business experiences, internships to campus students

[/media-credit] The Sid Craig School of Business at Fresno State University equips students with business experience and opportunities across the globe.

While only 10 percent of Fresno Christian students attend California State University, Fresno, one of the reasons to stay in town is The Sid Craig School of Business.

The Craig School of Business (CSB) is the business department at Fresno State University. The school helps students to acquire an elevated knowledge of business, offering a standard curriculum with practical orientation. CSB became the third public institution in California to be nationally accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

Catherine Kuchar, coordinator and academic adviser of CSB, talks about the honors and advantages that CSB had to have in order to be accredited with AACSB.

“The Craig School of Business is AACSB accredited,” Kuchar said. “This is the highest level of international accreditation, and is currently a nationally ranked business school. We have many doctorally qualified faculty that are nationally recognized for their research, which allows students many opportunities to enhance their educational experiences. We also offer smaller ratios of students to professors compared to other universities, leading to a more personal learning environment.”

The business school is one of the eight colleges within Fresno State. Although Fresno State possesses more than one business department, the business major is organized into six different schools. These help manage three different majors which overlap in course requirements.

In an effort to empower students to be leaders in their future career choices, CSB encourages students to step out of their comfort zones by experiencing how to work in business off the college campus.

CSB scouts out students that crave opportunity and are open to internships and foreign study. Kuchar specifies the qualities that CSB looks for in potential students.

[/media-credit] Sid and Jenny Craig donated $10 million to The Craig School of Business, the largest commitment in campus history.

“The Craig School of Business looks for students who are excited and passionate about education and taking advantage of the opportunities we provide,” Kuchar said. “We strive to help create well-rounded future business leaders, which means a willingness to participate in high-impact practices like internships, study abroad, and service learning projects, to name a few.”

The business program was founded in 1928. It gained popularity when Jenny and Sid Craig pledged $10 million to the school, becoming the largest commitment in campus history.

Sid Craig dreamed about owning his own business since he was a child. He transferred to Fresno State during 1952, majoring in business and psychology. During his college path, Craig helped paid off his schooling by teaching dancing at an Arthur Murray studio.

Continuing his business experience, Craig bought five Arthur Murray studios. In 1970, he sold the franchises and bought a half interest in Body Contour Inc. Figure Salons where he met his wife Jenny. Together they built a multibillion-dollar company.     

According to a Sid Craig Tribute video, Craig said, “The most influence any educational system has had on my life has been Fresno State; I think we have an obligation to give back in places that helped us to get ahead.”   

CSB offers multiple business specialization choices for students looking for an advanced business degree. Students who are accepted to Fresno State and want to pursue the Business Administration major begin as a Pre-Business major.

In the following podcast, Laura Rauscher discusses the benefits of attending the Craig School of Business with campus academic counselor Evangelina Tello.

The Pre-Business major is still housed within CSB and acts as a first step in becoming a Business major. Once students have met all of the necessary requirements, they are allowed to move into the Business Administration major officially, usually in their sophomore year.

[/media-credit] The Leon S. Peters Business Building is a part of The Craig School of Business department on the Fresno State campus.

Undergraduate students majoring in economics will receive a Bachelor of Arts in Economics degree or students can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Merchandising degree.

CSB offers an opportunity for students to study abroad and encounter business worldwide. Students have the option to study for an entire semester or summer in South America, Europe or Asia.

Students who attend CSB benefit from smaller class sizes and exposure to nationally recognized faculty. They have opportunities to participate in the award-winning internship programs and travel internationally with the study abroad program.

CSB recommends participating in clubs and organizations which lead to networking experience, engaging in the Career Development Center’s programs and meeting regularly with the team of advisors, allowing for school and life balance.

Blaine Rusk, freshman student at Fresno State University, discusses his experience at CSB and the advantages that have come along during his time there.

“The Craig School of Business is there to help you and to educate you in learning,” Rusk said. “If you put forth the hours and hard work into it, you will excel in the CSB. They are extremely nice; the advisors in there are willing to help you and show you the best way to get in and out of there ASAP.”

For more information concerning The Sid Craig School of Business, visit their website or contact adviser Catherine Kuchar.

For more articles, read Language relates to personal identities, cultural differences or Cindy Lane invites visitors to Clovis area for Christmas displays.

Laura Rauscher can be reached via email.