PROMO: Old Town Clovis prepares for annual Clovis Children’s Electric Lights Parade, Dec. 7

Campus band, color guard, percussion engage in Christmas parade festivities

[/media-credit] Floats, cars, marching groups and equestrians plan to parade down Old Town Clovis, in the Clovis Children’s Electric Light Parade, Dec.7.

FCS band, color guard and percussion ring in the holiday season at the Clovis Children’s Electric Light Parade, Dec. 7. The event is hosted by Old Town Clovis Kiwanis.

In addition to local marching groups, decked out floats, cars and equestrians will parade down the streets of Old Town Clovis to participate in the festivities. 

Senior Brittany McCann looks forward to this event each year with her color guard team. McCann began performing in color guard in seventh grade and continues to fulfill her role on the team.

“I think people should come and support this event,” McCann said. “Not only for band and color guard, but for everyone else who got decked out for the holidays and came down to participate. I enjoy taking part in the festivities of the parade and performing because I get to express a part of myself that I don’t usually show in my everyday life.”

In the following podcast, Jewel Chandler interviews senior Brittany McCann about the Clovis Children’s Electric Light Parade. 

In addition to the parade, guests are given the opportunity to win prizes, shop at commercial vendors and enjoy musical entertainment. Spectators are also able to ride on a horse-drawn carriage. Rides were given every weekend from 1-4 PM up until Dec. 27.

[/media-credit] In addition to free admission to view the parade, spectators can experience an array of activities.

Band teacher Leslie Banister initially participated in the event her first year of teaching and believes the parade allows her students to get involved with their community. Bannister enjoys rehearsing Christmas songs as a way to finish off the band’s fall semester. 

“This is such a unique parade,” Bannister said. “It is very well attended, and the crowds get bigger and bigger every year. Christmas is my favorite holiday and it’s so much fun to spend time with the band rehearsing Christmas music.”

Freshman Chris Mericle enjoys participating in the event during the Christmas season. Miracle has performed with band for two years.

“I’ve been involved with this parade in the past,” Mericle said. “I’m grateful that our community can come out and support our team. We’ve spent a lot of time rehearsing and it’s cool to see how all that work has paid off.”

Band plans to perform the tune “Let It Snow” as percussion carries out their “Parade Candice”. The event also showcases upcoming clubs, churches and local bands.

Come show your Eagle pride and come out to Old Town Clovis this Saturday, Dec.7, at 6:30 p.m!

For more article, check out Farmer, professional observe environmental impact on The Valley’s water, farming or Hallie Rojeski prepares eighth grade students for 31st annual US Constitution test.

Jewel Chandler can be reached via email and Twitter.