Co-ed golf sport shorts, 2007

SPRING SPORTS SHORTS, 2007–
(Latest coed golf shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for coed golf features)

For the 2007 co-ed golf SWSL schedule, standings and stats, click on HighSchoolSports.net, SWSL coed golf.

CO-ED GOLF, 2007–
Freshman Spenser Lee advanced to the Area Qualifier at Madera Municipal Golf Course on May 7. However, Lee did not make the first cut. FC’s overall record was 0-8 as of May 1.

SEASON END

FRESHMAN MISSES CUT AT AREA QUALIFIER, May 7
While freshman Spencer Lee did not make the cut at the Area Qualifier, he was happy with his score and set new goals for next year.

“I was happy with my score of 76, and with a few breaks, I know I could have made the next round. I missed the cut by only 2 strokes. Next year my goal includes being one of the medalists at the Area Tournament.”

The campus has not had a competitive golf team for seven years. Due to limited funds, golf was cut from the curriculum. A co-ed team was formed in the early spring and maintained six members, provided their own equipment and paid a $250 fee.

Lee was the only campus player who was invited to play in the Area Qualifier.

“The highlight of the tournament for me was making a 5-foot putt on the 17th hole for par,” Lee said. “The I made par on the 18th hole and finished strong and confident.”

The team played in their first tournament at Copper River Country Club on March 6.

FC FINISHES 6th, AT LEMOORE on May 1
With an overall score of 469 for 18 holes, FC placed 5th out of 8 teams in the final tournament of the season at Lemoore Municipal Golf Course on May 1.

Spencer Lee, ?10, led the Eagles with an aggregate of 80 and Taylor Torrence, ?08, finished with 89 strokes. Nick Gursky of Clovis Christian had the lowest score of 73, followed by scores of 74 by Blake Ashlin of Kings Christian and Micah DeFalco of Clovis Christian.

?I had fun bonding with the team,? Lee said. ?It was fun bonding with kids in different grades than me.?

As a result of scores under 90, Lee and Taylor Torrence, ?08, will advance to the Area Qualifier at Madera Municipal Golf Course on May 7.

Lee received a medal for 6th place individually in the league.

No. 1 Kings Christian also finished 1st with a score of 449. Tranquillity finished with a score of 469, tying with FC.

The two teams then competed in a tiebreaker where the highest score of each team was counted. Tranquility?s Beto Solorio had the highest score on his team of 113, while FC?s Abby Schoettler scored 131.

FC MOVES UP ONE POSITION, IMPROVES OVERALL AT AIRWAYS on April 24

FC placed 5th out of 8 teams in the seventh tournament of the season at Airways Golf Course on April 24. FC?s overall score was 462 for 18 holes.

Freshman Spencer Lee led the Eagles with an aggregate of 73, and tied for the overall lowest score with Nick Gursky from Clovis Christian.

Juniors Carson Hopper, Ryan Martens, and Taylor Torrence all shot below 50 for the first time on nine holes; their overall scores were 97, 103 and 104, respectively.

?One highlight was on the last hole,? coach Jeff Hopper, said. ?Taylor?s ball bounced off the roof of a green shed, back into bounds. The next hit bounced off a metal fence and rolled back into bounds again.?

Despite playing 18 holes for the first time this year, the scores improved both individually and as a team for the first time.

?Everyone did well, even though we played 18 holes for the first time,? freshman Clark Jacobson said. ?I think that we?ve all improved over this season.?

Tranquility led all teams with a score of 399. Clovis Christian placed 6th a score of 469, 7 higher than FC?s score. Fowler placed 4th and defeated FC with a score of 440.

Riverdale will host the final tournament of the season at Lemoore Municipal Golf Course on May 1. The same 8 teams will be competing.

FC GOLF PLACES 7TH IN WINDY CONDITIONS on April 17
FC placed 7th out of 8 teams in a West Sierra League match at Riverbend Golf Course, April 18. FC and Riverdale tied with an overall score of 287.

Gusty, unpredictable winds led to higher-than-average scores.

Freshman Spencer Lee led the Eagles with a score of 47. The match led to a tiebreaker between FC and Riverdale.

When two or more teams are tied after nine holes, the individual high scores (which are usually dropped) are also included in the aggregate score. FC?s highest individuals score was 87; Riverdale?s was 86. Tranquillity won the match with an overall score of 229.

Clovis Christian’s Micah Difalco won the individual gold medal with a score of 40.

EAGLES PLACE FIFTH, IN FIFTH TOURNAMENT on April 11
FC placed 5th out of 8 teams for the fifth tournament of the season, at Madera Municipal Golf Course, on April 11. FC?s overall score was 264.

Freshman Spencer Lee led the Eagles with a score of 40 and birdied on hole 9. Junior Carson Hopper shot 50, while freshman Clark Jacobson shot 51.

Firebaugh leads all teams in overall aggregate scores.

EAGLES FINISH 7TH AFTER TIE-BREAK
FC placed 7th out of 8 teams in their fourth tournament at Javier’s Fresno West Golf Course, on March 27. The Eagle’s team score was 283.

Freshmen Spencer Lee score was two more than last tournament with a 46. Sophomore Abby Schoettler won the tie-breaker for the Eagles with her score of 73.

Tranquillity lead all teams with their overall score of 237.

Nick Gursky lead all players with a score of 38 despite his Clovis Christian’s 8th place finish.

The Eagles will next travel to play at Madera Municipal on April 11.

RAIN DOES NOT DAMPER INDIVIDUAL EAGLE PERFORMANCE
FC placed 7th out of 8 teams in the third tournament of the season at Lemoore Municipal golf course, March 20. FC?s overall score was 284. Clovis Christian placed 6th, defeating FC by 1 stroke.

Freshman Spencer Lee led the Eagles with a score of 44. Junior Taylor Torrence had a score of 64, an 18-stroke improvement from his last tournament score.

Despite the rain, Eagle individuals were able to achieve some highlights.

?On the 14th hole, I was able to hit a 250 yard drive into the rain,? Clark Jacobson, ?10, said. ?That drive put me in a position to par the hole.?

FC FORFEITS DUE TO LACK OF PLAYERS
With two of their six players absent, the Eagles had to forfeit the Airways Tournament. The team continued to compete despite the forfeit.

Freshmen Spencer Lee had another solid outing leading the Eagles with a score of 38, four over par for nine holes.

The campus squad next plays on March 20 at Lemoore against the same 8 co-ed teams.

FC PLACES 6TH IN FIRST OUTING OF SEASON
FC placed 6th out of 8 teams in the first tournament of the season at Copper River Country Club, March 6. The campus team’s overall score was 284 for 9 holes. Liberty-Madera Ranchos placed 4th, defeating FC by only 1 stroke.

Freshman Spencer Lee led the Eagles with a score of 39, three over par for 9 holes.

The campus squad next plays on March 13 at Airways against the same 8 co-ed teams. For a feature on the golf team, read Breanne Alcorn’s March 7 article, “Golf tees off season”.