ZooLights offers holiday festivities, creates new family traditions

Fresno Chaffee Zoo highlights Christmas-themed event for winter season

[/media-credit] The Fresno Chaffee Zoo presents their eigth annual ZooLights tradition, Dec. 8.

As the Christmas season rolls in, locals prepare to unpack the festivities that the Fresno area has to offer. While many families make a tradition of visiting the Christmas lights on Cindy Lane or Christmas Tree Lane, the Fresno Chaffee Zoo offers another way to view Christmas lights.

Unveiling its eighth annual tradition this year on Nov. 29, ZooLights presents a winter wonderland of seasonal surprises. The Fresno Chaffee Zoo radiates for miles on end, illuminated by holiday lights. Musical entertainment, festive treats and even holographic glasses that feature Christmas characters are supplied.

Numerous attendants appreciate the family friendly atmosphere. First time visitor Xavier (last name undisclosed) enjoyed taking part in the event with his family.

“I would definitely encourage others to come out and support this event,” Xavier said. “It’s a great community event that the whole family can enjoy. I’m here with my three kids and their having a great time. I especially enjoyed the different themes and areas included in the park.”

[/media-credit] Many nocturnal animals remain active during the ZooLight event such as flamingos, stingrays and tigers.

In addition to the scenery, every aspect of the zoo is categorized into a variety of different themes. Many of the lights correspond with the animal exhibits in the area. For example, the tiger exhibit features tiger light displays.

Along with the lights, the zoo features local teams, groups and solo performers. Fresno Chaffee Zoo welcomes local voluntary entertainment including dance groups and live music.

Attendant Gladys (last name undisclosed) accompanied her family to the event as well. As a participant of the occurrence in the past, Gladys came to view her daughters hip-hop routine for the California Arts Academy.

“My daughter is involved with the California Arts Academy, and she just performed a hip-hop routine with her team,” Gladys said. “ZooLights is a really fun experience for everyone, they have a lot of different activities for people to experience. You can get free pictures with Santa and enjoy lots of s’mores and hot chocolate.”

Tickets cost $10 for adult admission and $7 for children ages 2-11. Aside from ticket prices, guests are able to purchase hot chocolate, s’mores, holographic glasses and more at easy and affordable prices. 

In the following podcast, Jewel Chandler interviews attendant Stacy (last name undisclosed) at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo ZooLights event.

Attendant Stacy reflected on her experience during the event. Though noting the radiance of the holiday lights, Stacy especially observed the night wildlife.

“This has been a really, really fun experience,” Stacey said. “ I didn’t know what to expect at first, but there is a lot to see and do; the lights are gorgeous. My favorite part so far was actually just seeing the flamingos and other nocturnal animals that you wouldn’t normally see a lot of during the day.”

[/media-credit] Decorative lights create miles of Christmas shapes and colors during the Fresno Chaffee Zoo’s Zoolights event.

Like flamingos, tigers and stingrays are also mostly nocturnal and most active during the night. The stingray exhibit remained open as the event took place for visitors to interact with the ocean life. Contributing to the seasonal event, ZooLights also presents an opportunity for guests to view these rare vertebrates not normally seen during the day.

ZooLights will continue throughout the holiday season, opening every weekend until Dec. 30. For more information on special occasions, go to fresnochaffeezoo.org. Come join the fun this holiday season at ZooLights at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo! 

For more articles, check out  Spotlight Productions: The Grinch or Cindy Lane invites visitors to Clovis area for Christmas displays

Jewel Chandler can be reached via email and Twitter.

The following slideshow features photos from the Fresno Chaffee Zoo Zoolights event.