Jonas Brothers take the stage after six year hiatus with Happiness Begins Tour

Musical trio reunites, restores childhood memories of millions

The Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA lit up in purple for the return of the Jonas Brothers, Dec. 12. Earlier this year, the three brothers Joe, Nick and Kevin Jonas officially reunited after a six year musical hiatus.

[/media-credit] FC alumna Amanda Grimmius, ’19, left to right, and juniors Faith Monroy and Megan Grimmius pose in front of the Oracle Entrance before seeing the Jonas Brothers perform live in Los Angeles, Dec. 12.

Their comeback album Happiness Begins released June 7 and debuted No. 1 on Billboard 200. Following the success of the release, the brothers posted tour dates for the Happiness Begins Tour. Shows sold out in minutes and left fans wanting more from the trio.

The Jonas Brothers made a decision to extend the tour and divide it into four legs; the first in North America, the second in Latin America, the third returning to North America and the final leg in Europe. The Oakland show was the third to last show in the third leg. The tour will conclude with the last 16 shows in the last leg, occurring January through February in Europe. 

Along with a record-breaking album and sold out tour, the brothers also had a documentary release following the album called Chasing Happiness, available on Amazon Prime. The film dives into the origination of the band, the rise of fame, the vulnerable end to an era and the trio’s return. 

Ironically, the decision to reassemble the Jonas Brothers was suggested by Nick who had been the one to propose they go their separate ways back in 2013. The idea to get the band back together followed into the three talking out their differences and a year of reconnecting not only as band mates, but as brothers. 

The Happiness Begins Tour showcases a 20 song setlist, featuring a mixture of old and new hits. The concert opens with a performance by Jordan McGraw, up and coming pop artist and son of television personality and psychologist Phil McGraw (Dr. Phil). 

McGraw opened his setlist with his new songs on his newly self titled EP. Before his finishing song, McGraw enlightened the crowd about how music can help you through any situation. He then sang his final song, “We Should Still Be Friends”. 

The following clip features the trailer of the Chasing Happiness documentary, directed by John Lloyd Taylor.

Through the brief intermissions, the crowd was entertained by featured DJ, Deleasa, brother to Danielle Jonas, Kevin Jonas’s wife. Deleasa played hits by other artists and bands such as Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi, Truth Hurts by Lizzo, Circles by Post Malone and Adore You by Harry Styles.

“Touring has been such an amazing experience and the brothers’ fans are truly like no other,” Deleasa said in a press release. “Every night the crowd gets better and better, the energy is incredible. I’m excited to start releasing more music this year and get a chance to play it for everyone on the road.”

[/media-credit] The smaller B-Stage offers a more personal connection with the audience as the brothers took time to perform more of their sentimental music.

The second opening act starred Bebe Rexha. Rexha performed hits such as “I’m a Mess“, “Meant to Be“, and “Call You Mine”. Rexha involved the crowd by choosing a random audience member and bringing them up to dance with her.

To Rexha’s surprise, the audience member didn’t embarrass himself, but shined. During the bass drop of her performance, the young man jumped into jazz splits. When the song wrapped up she hugged him and let him shout out his name: David Cortez. 

After both opening acts followed the much anticipated commencement of the show. The Jonas Brothers opened with their raw track, “Rollercoaster“. The chorus involved lyrics such as, “It was fun when we were young and now we’re older. Those days when we were broke in California. We were up-and-down and barely made it over. But I’d go back and ride that roller coaster with you.”

The three Brothers descended from the top to the floor of the main stage. Behind them began a video storyline played throughout the show. The screen changed during every song, following the young boys as they embarked on the journey to them now singing together as adults.

The show featured a main stage, stage and walkway in between. The main stage featured fire, confetti and inflatables while the B-Stage featured a small elevating and rotating platform for a more personal interaction with the stars. 

The following playlist on Apple Music features the songs performed on the Jonas Brothers’ Happiness Begins tour.

The show ended with a bow from all three brothers. The girls and boys of all ages filling the arena left with a feeling of a completed childhood as the decade comes to a close. The Jonas Brothers’ last leg will kick off next year in Europe. For more information on ticket availability check out the tour website.

For more articles, check out COLUMN: Dedication, discipline, passion provide key to success and “The Mandalorian” captures audiences with action, lore.

Faith Monroy can be reached via Twitter.