The Colour diversifies rock

After a limited release of a 4-track extended play (EP), So-Cal rock band, The Colour, finally released their first full-length studio album, Between Earth and Sky on Feb. 6.

Members include lead singer Wyatt Hull, guitarists Davey Quon and Luke MacMaster and Nate Warkentin on the drums.

Nate is the son of Gary Warkentin, previous campus business administrator. Nate spent 13 years on campus, was the editor-in-chief of The Feather for three years and graduated in 2000.

The Colour began playing together since May 2004, when Nate assembled the band with fellow Biola students. These four show what the true breadth of rock can be. The songs drift from distorted guitar and hard-hitting drums to a soft piano, backed with a tambourine.

The band has had a presence on MySpace Music for a number of years and has quite a following on that web site besides their Colour online site.

Those who had purchased EP were familiar with several of the songs that appeared on the full album; songs such as ?Devil?s Got a Holda Me? and ?Save Yourself.? The catchy rhythms on ?Devil?s Got a Holda Me? keeps listeners interested, as does the instrumentation.

The album features some instruments that may seem rather unorthodox for a traditional rock band, such as sleigh bells, the harmonica and the cowbell. However, the dominant sounds of the guitar, bass drums and keyboards drive the acoustics.

The Colour managed to avoid the trap that plagues many up and coming bands. Some seem to cram the best three or four songs at the beginning, leaving the remaining songs to sound like a re-recording of those same songs with different lyrics.

The musical diversity throughout shows a sign of true musicianship and the ability to write songs that are not built off the same three chords over and over again.

The recordings offered by The Colour are reminiscent of music played by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. These megagroups seem to have influenced The Colour but they shine with their own sound. The lack of processing on the instruments will give classic rockers something to talk about as well.

Lyrics on the surface are straightforward, providing no real questions as to what they are singing about, but each song holds a deeper message for those who want to look for it. For instance, ?Bearded Lady?s? message is that of outcasts, those whom society may look down upon and not consider “normal.”

With building enthusiasm, the release of Between Earth and Sky marks The Colour?s grand entrance into the music market. These solid musicians have crafted a solid album that many will enjoy and appreciate.

The Colour is playing at Fresno Pacific University, as a stop on their North American Tour on Feb. 27. Tickets can only be purchased at the door; the concert is scheduled to begin at 8:30 P.M.