Lent yields struggles

Lent originated with the foundation of the Church in commemoration of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. People rededicate to their faith over the 40-day duration prior to Easter.

In Lent, the traditional sacrifice holds personal significance. According to Spirit home, the “sacrifice” is made to learn self-control, free the mind from the chase after material things and identify with Christ’s sufferings.

“Some would say that the things people are giving up are getting more shallow,” Kim Swift, ’08, said. “I personally don’t think that because a lot of the things people are giving up are things they really like. So for them they are making their sacrifices and giving up something they really enjoy.”

Lent began on Ash Wednesday (Feb. 21) and ends on Holy Saturday (April 7). The last week of Lent begins with Palm Sunday, which celebrates the day Jesus entered Jerusalem and the people laid down palm branches at his feet.

“I think Lent is a healthy spiritual practice,” John Lynch, ’07, said. “It also encourages spiritual growth.”

While some devout followers sacrifice and fast, others see no value in the tradition.

“I am not doing Lent,” Trent Souza, ’09, said, “because I did not know when it started and I don’t really care that much about it.”

Those who honor Lent consider it as a season of soul-searching and reflection. During the 40 days they also practice repentance. Jessica Berg, ’07, and her family have participated in Lent for two years. This year, she committed to reading the bible every day.

“I think Lent is important to participate in,” Jessica Berg, ’07, said. “I believe it focuses your faith in God and allows you to generate all your attention in him for 40 days. When Lent is over I feel like my relationship with God is closer.”

According to the Woodlands Junior School website fasting is a traditional practice of Lent. However, practicing Catholics avoid meat consumption every Friday for the 40 days. Most believe meat was chosen because giving up meat (beef and chicken) is considered an inconvenience. The Church asks followers to inconvenience themselves to serve as a reminder that God is a higher priority than self-gratification.

“I planned to give up meat for Lent,” Ani Paparigan, ’09, said. “I knew it would be hard to keep my promise because I am a natural carnivore and people pressured me to bread. I broke my commitment soon after. It was so much harder than I anticipated; I wish I stayed committed to my true priorities.”