Junior leads Women’s Chorale

After long evening practices, the campus Women?s Chorale will travel overnight to Cal Poly for the San Luis Obispo Choir Festival, March 2.

The Women?s Chorale has been preparing for this performance every Monday night from 5-7 P.M, even on holidays. They will be singing ?Zion?s Wall?, ?Fly Singing Bird?, and ?Mary Speaks? in front of thousands of people and over one hundred choirs.

This is the first year Women?s Chorale has been offered as a class. The group was formed this year because Bryan wanted to have an advanced group to perform some very difficult music that is just for women’s voices. This music is expressive and accentuates the female voice.

Although they have not had much time to prepare for this performance, the group and their director remain confident in their ability.

Junior Katelyn Aydelotte, after singing for 11 years in numerous choral groups, will use her experience to lead the first year women’s group.

“Katelyn has been a wonderful leader in Women’s Chorale,” Bryan said. “She has grown tremendously in her musicianship as well as her vocal ability. She has been taking private lessons since last year with a wonderful teacher, Hanna Nielsen.”

Nielsen is a graduate of Fresno Pacific University music program and is currently working toward her master’s degree in voice at CSU, Fresno.

“In her time studying with Hanna, Katelyn has gained more power in her voice, beauty in her tone, and confidence in her ability,” Bryan said. “She leads with grace and by example. It is a pleasure to teach her as well as all the other young ladies.”

Aydelotte has been singing since a young child and now has joined multiple choral groups on campus.

?I started singing at Mountain View Christian, my elementary school.” Aydelotte said. ?Then I came over to Fresno Christian and sang with Valerie Quiring for one year. Now I sing with Aaron Bryan in Women?s Chorale and Ensemble.

Bryan has been the choir teacher for three years after former director, Marc Ferguson, left for another post in the Pacific Northwest.

?Mr. Bryan has been so supportive this year,? Aydelotte said. ?Even though we have lost a lot of seniors this year Bryan has not given up on us. We were all worried that the group would not be good this year but Bryan has supported us the whole way and has not given up on us.?

Aydelotte?s family is very involved in music and has supported her throughout her years.

?My older sister Elise and younger brother Ryan both are involved in band,? Aydelotte said. ?My dad has been really supportive; when I was younger he would watch musicals on T.V. with me. My favorites were Singing in the Rain and Oklahoma.?

Even after singing for so many years, Aydelotte still loves it but she also has other interests.

?I still really enjoy singing,? Aydelotte said. ?I also like being involved with academic things to, like CSF, tutoring younger children and helping with disabled camps.?

Aydelotte has been in Ensemble group for three years.

?I love Ensemble; my favorite memory is when we all went to the (Pete) DeGroot?s Cabin at Bass Lake and went diaper diving,? Aydelotte said. ?We put our life jackets on backwards like diapers and floated around in the lake.?

Upcoming choral events include a combined concert with Biola University Chorale & all the campus choirs on March 16 at Riverpark Bible Church. The concert will begin at 7:30 P.M. and is on the corner of Millbrook & Alluvial Avenues; admission is free.

“Biola has a wonderful choral music program and we are extremely honored that they would be willing to allow us to host them for a concert in Fresno,” Bryan said. “We are thrilled at the opportunity to rehearse with them during the day and have their wonderful conductor work with our choirs. It is going to be a spectacular concert featuring a wide range of musical styles.”

For more information, contact Bryan at [email protected].