Golf tees off season

After a seven year hiatus, Scott Callisch, athletic director, decided reintroduce golf into the athletic program.

In 1999, Ericlee Gilmore began to promote track and it spurred more interest than golf. Due to limited funds, the latter was cut from the curriculum. Now, the co-ed team needs to maintain six members, provide their own equipment and pay a $250 fee.

The team played in their first tournament at Copper River Country Club on March 6. FC finished in fifth place out of eight teams.

In high school golf, the No. 1 player challenges the rival No. 1. All six members compete at each game. Golfers play a 9-hole course prior to daylight savings time and 18 holes after. The lowest five scores from each team are added together, to determine the winning team.

Abbey Schoettler, ?09, is the only girl who tried out this year. She has never played golf and believes this season will be an opportunity to gain experience.

?My whole family has played golf so I really wanted to learn how to play,? Schoettler said. ?I really hope to improve my game and have fun doing it.?

Although the majority of the team has not played prior to this year, No. 1, freshman Spencer Lee practices twice a week and hopes to play college golf.

“My goal for the team this year is to improve on our game”, coach Jeff Hopper said. “I hope the kids can work hard but also really enjoy playing the game.”

The team practices on weekdays from 2:30 ? 4:30 P.M. For regular practice, golfers travel to Riverpark Golf Center (GC) near Highway 41. Once a week the team plays a practice round at Riverside GC to hit on a 9-hole course.

The team will next travel to Airways GC for a West Sierra combined match, starting at 1:30 P.M. on March 13.

For a schedule of upcoming games click here on highschoolsports.net. For information about games check out Coed golf sports shorts, 2007. For further information check out Benjamin Dang’s Nov. 6, 2006, article, Golf returns to campus.