7th annual serve day aids community through student service

FCS community shares importance of serving

[/media-credit] Kyle Clem, ’21, helps clean one of the various parks around Fresno during serve day last year.

Over 200 high school students will split up and travel off-campus to eight different locations around the Fresno area to serve others for the seventh year in a row, Feb. 27.

Students will serve at organizations such as the Discovery Center, Medical Ministries International and CrossCity Christian Church and more. Students will also paint over graffiti and clean up parks such as Fink White Park. These environments have all been selected with the help of Every Neighborhood Partnership (ENP). 

The campus has partnered up with ENP to send campus high school students throughout Fresno and help the community by packaging food and cleaning up parks. 

Teacher Robert Foshee, seven-year serve day leader, loves the idea of student getting out more and opening up their eyes while giving them newer perspectives. Foshee encourages focusing on other peoples needs and not so much their own while serving the community.

“I think its good for the students because when we look at other peoples’ needs,” Foshee said, “we start to forget your own needs as much. You think you have a lot of needs but then you see other people and it helps give perspective.”

In the following podcast, Shane Phillips interviews Ashley Logan about the upcoming serve day, Feb. 27.

Cleaning parks last year, Ashley Logan, ’22, decided to sign up and help out at the Discovery Center this year. Logan looks forward to serving the community and others while also serving God.

“Last year for serve day we did park clean up,” Logan said. “We went to a park and we hoed weeds and mowed lawns and made it look prettier. I really enjoyed the people we got to clean with. We felt good after we did it and that we were able to help our community. This year I am going to the Discovery Center and I am going with a really good group of people and am looking forward to serving God while helping others.”

The number of students traveling to each location and their addresses are listed below.

[/media-credit] The above infographic made by Summer Foshee, ’23, features some additional information about the upcoming 2020 serve day, Feb. 27.

20 students travel to Playland/Storyland, 890 W Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93728, to landscape and clean.

25 students travel to Fink White City Park, 2155 S. Peach Ave, Fresno, CA 93727, to landscape and clean.

35 students travel to Medical Ministries International, 2962 S. Cedar Ave, Fresno, CA 93725, to sort products

20 students travel to Fresno Metro Ministry, 872 West Atchison Court, Fresno, CA 93706, to landscape and clean.

20 students travel to the Discovery Center, 1944 N Winery Ave, Fresno, CA 93703, to landscape and clean.

30 students travel to Peoples Church, 7172 N Cedar Ave, Fresno, CA 93720, for Reading Heart to sort products.

20 students will be sent to two different locations to clean up and paint over graffiti.

20 students will be sent to mobile homes to do fixing projects.

Students should wear pants and closed toed shoes to all locations on serve day, Feb. 27.

For last year’s serve day article, read FC Serve Day 2019.

For more articles, read Local scientists, students, teachers discuss climate crisis, controversies surface or COLUMN: Global impact begins at local level.

Shane Phillips can be reached via email. 

The following slideshow contains images from FC Serve Day, Feb. 27.