Girls soccer seals the deal, wins DV Valley championship

Coach Matt Markarian, Eagle soccer wins first title since 2001

[/media-credit] The Eagles won the CIF Central Section DV Valley championship, defeating Kerman, 2-1, Feb. 21. Coach Matt Markarian, right, won his first Valley title in 25 years of coaching.

For the first time in nearly 20 years, the Fresno Christian girls soccer team finished the year as CIF Central Section Division V Valley champions. The squad defeated Kerman High School, 2-1, Feb. 21, winning the first FC girls Valley championship since 2001. This title drought also ended for head coach Matt Markarian, as he earned his first DV Valley championship in 25 years of coaching.

The Eagles have played in the Valley championship game each of the last two seasons.

The Eagles led the first half, 2-0, on two goals scored by Rylee Schwab, ’21, and Bekah Micu, ’20. In the second half, Kerman answered with one goal, but were unable to match the Eagle’s score as the home team defended their goals.

Feather videographer senior Wesley Hinton compiles a Valley championship video below as the varsity girls defeated Kerman, 2-1, to win the CIF Central Section Division V Valley title in front of the ‘Eagle Squad’, Feb. 21.

Girls soccer secures Valley Championship from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

Coach Markarian praised his coaching staff and the team for becoming better players and coaches over the last two years.

“Last year we were two minutes from a Valley championship and we lost,” Markarian said. “We needed to adjust as a team and coaches to do that this year. We went back to basics as a team and we spent a large part of the season focusing on basic skills and becoming better soccer players.  We adjusted the coaching style, coach Garret (Markarian) handled the training schedule and did an amazing job. Coach Morgan (Smith) made sure everyone was mentally ready to play every game.”

In the following Feather tweet, sports reporter Richie Cortez interviews junior Rylee Schwab immediately after FC beat Kerman, 2-1, to win the CIF Central Section Division V Valley championship.

On the road to this title, the team continued its league history by pushing their win streak to 15 in a row, in league, over the past two years. Along with this accomplishment, the squad fought to a 23-2 record while going undefeated at home and finishing with their second straight East Sierra League championship. They accomplished these feats all while scoring 112 goals and allowing only 24.

The eagles defensive lineup, featuring seniors Deborah Ingerson, Megan LeBlanc, Avery Jones and junior Natalie Arndt, allowed an average of one goal a game.

After leading seven teams to the Valley championship, coach Markarian celebrates with his fellow coaches and the team in the following Feather tweet.

The Eagles entered the championship game following postseason wins over Mammoth and Roosevelt while scoring a combined eight goals while only allowing one. Coach Markarian made a point with his team to approach the game like any other. Markarian recalls how he drew from past losses for fuel to go forward and claim a Valley championship win.

“In the past we’ve done banquets and kind of had some other stuff around the team,” Markarian said. “That maybe took away from our focus and this time we simply focused on being a good team. We went into the game trying to treat it like any other game. We had been here before and we knew what it was like to lose. We had stayed on the field and watched the other team celebrate in front of us in the past to remember that this hurts and we don’t want to remember that again.”

Third Time is the Charm

[/media-credit] Eagle junior striker Rylee Schwab dribbles the ball by a Kerman defender while senior midfielder Annabelle Messer, center, tracks the ball with her.

After three consecutive visits to the Valley championship game, the lady Eagles finished off the competition to top Division V.

Senior Avery Jones chose to push through a previous injury sustained in the semifinals and give her effort to the team.

“Heading into the final game I was in a lot of pain from a previous injury I received in the semifinals,” Jones said. “I was heartbroken that I wouldn’t be at my best for this game. Throughout the game I was praying the whole time asking God to give me the strength to push through the 80 minutes. When the last whistle blew I immediately fell to tears as I was overcome with happiness and joy.”

The following tweet features the referee’s whistle blow signaling the end of the match while the Eagle Squad and FC spectators pour onto the field to celebrate the first girls soccer Valley championship in 20 years.

Finishing the year off 23-2, the lady Eagles were back-to-back ESL champions and with an undefeated East Sierra League (10-0) season. The hot streak continued to the end winning 15 games in a row.

[/media-credit] In one of the largest crowds of the season, the student section ‘Eagle Squad’, were boisterous, cheering and ultimately ran the field by whistles end.

Fourth-year player LeBlanc tastes victory in her final year of soccer. LeBlanc shared her thoughts on how the training was worth it in the end.

“That night was one of the most stressful nights I’ve ever had,” LeBlanc said. “Knowing that we were one step away from a Valley Championship was nerve racking but we were ready to compete. Once that final whistle blew, my heart was filled with joy and tears just came running down my face. All of the hard work, injuries and dedication showed on the field that night and I couldn’t be prouder of the results.”

Markarian has over 300 wins as a Fresno Christian coach. He has been to the Valley Championship seven times (four with boys, three with girls). The last time a girls soccer team won the Valley championship was under coach Robert Foshee in 2001.

Markarian went on to say, “We went into the game knowing if we do our job well, score goals and make minor adjustments, our defense and goal keeping will keep us in the game.”

In the following podcast, sports journalists Kyle Clem and Richie Cortez chat with head coach Matt Markarian on his thoughts about the Valley championship, Feb. 24.

“Oh When the Squad Comes Marching In”

With a student capacity of only 223, Fresno Christian students cheered on the lady eagles. Goalkeeper Kayden Marquez, ’20, shared her thoughts on how much the ‘Eagle Squad’ impacted the team on the pitch.

“The crowd was absolutely insane on Friday’s game,” Marquez said. “It was crazy to see how many people were there to root us on and they were just as happy about the win as we were.”

Marquez, finished the year with 10 shutouts and only allowed 0.7 goals per game. Feather sports reporter senior Richie Cortez interviewed her on the field immediately after FC defeated Kerman, 2-1.

Midfielder Annabelle Messer went through obstacles this season, coming back from an ACL injury. An injury set for nine months, Messer shares how the student section encouraged her to make it back and fight for a valley title.

“While on the field it was super encouraging to have everyone cheering us on,” Messer said. “It gave us the motivation to continue to push. The fans helped us get hyped and to just keep pushing because we were so close to finally winning.”

Forward Schwab concluded the season with 44 goals and 40 assists, while finishing as the eighth leading scorer in the nation. Teammate Micu scored 42 goals and assisted on 36 more while finishing 10th in the nation in scoring.

“The atmosphere was so hype and intense,” Schwab said. “It was almost overwhelming in an amazing way the fans helped us know that they wanted the win just as much as we did. It made us want to play faster and stronger knowing we weren’t just playing for ourselves.”

In the following Feather video tweet, the Eagles celebrate together in a way reminiscent of a style former boys coach Ramon del Campo taught them.

Senior Angel Ruelas was one of several students who organized the ‘Eagle Squad’ and gave his perspective from a fan point of view.

“Finally at the Valley Championship game we got some chants going and the chants more than anything as a player motivates us to play harder,” Ruelas said. “A lot of people won’t say it but it’s a lot of fun so I think as a fan it was amazing to actually get the student section going and rallied up.”

The Fresno Christian girls are not done; their next game is the in CIF State Division V playoffs, Tuesday, March 4. Location and team is TBA. Come support your lady Eagles as they compete in the state playoffs!

For more information on the Girls soccer secures Valley Championship, click on the video and leave a comment to congratulate the team and coach Markarian. For more Valley Championship excitement, check out the boys basketball ‘Road to Selland’ video promoting their CIF Central Section Division V semi-final match-up against Parlier, Feb. 25.

Richie Cortez can be reached via email.

Kyle Clem can be reached via email.

Girls soccer wins CIF Central Section DV Valley championship, Feb. 21.