EDITORIAL: Firearm restrictions hinder protection against potential threats

Ability to join military, vote validate gun ownership

[/media-credit] While many Americans support the use of firearms as tools for protection, others attribute shooting disasters to guns and protest for their restriction.

Since the founding of America, U.S. citizens have kept firearms to defend themselves and their families from potential threats. The founding fathers even transcribed “the right to bear arms” as the Second Amendment in order to preserve the sanctity of the five freedoms.

In the past years, certain politicians such as Dianne Feinstein and Pete Buttigieg and activist groups such as Antifa call for the raising age restriction of firearms. If an 18-year-old possess the ability to vote and join the military, they possess the ability to own a firearm with a background check.

The controversy surrounding gun rights in America draws in opinions from all different viewpoints from guns will create a safer America to guns are evil and need to be banned into one cultural debate.

One side says that more restrictions on the sale of firearms prevents the spread of gun violence while the other side claims that guns aid in keeping the violence at bay. However, this topic comes into question after events such as mass shootings.

According to CNN, in just 46 weeks out of 2019, 45 school shootings took place in America. Most of the time the shooter attends the campus. Due to the circumstances surrounding these events, one side of the firearm debate argues that age restrictions on firearm sales boast the ability to decrease the chance of school shootings. However, most shooters obtain their weapon by stealing it from their parents.

The government calls for an individual to be 21 years old to buy a handgun and 18 to purchase long guns such as shotguns and semi automatic rifles (one bullet per pull of the trigger). Because 18-year-olds retain the ability to vote, drive, and join the military, the capability of owning a firearm is acceptable.

The preeminent complication in determining whether or not an individual is suitable for the responsibility of owning a gun shows itself in the form of federal background checks.

[media-credit id=139 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

The current federal background check for purchasing a gun exclusively searches for a criminal record and any reported mental disorders. Despite these examinations, loopholes subsist in this policy.

For example, people diagnosed with minor mental disorders or even self-centered personalities possess the ability to purchase firearms. Similar conditions such as childhood abuse were found in some school shooters. Age restrictions accomplish nothing when an adult finds themselves capable of more irresponsibility than a teenager.

Seventy-seven percent of students aim to own a gun at some point in their life, according to a poll taken at FCS of 196 high schoolers. With this statistic, one might assume high schoolers desire to own a gun at a young age. However, 52 percent of voters agreed with the handgun age limit of 21.

According to the campus poll, 34 percent of students think 18 years old is an appropriate age limit, 6 percent think no age limits should exist and 6 percent do not believe guns should be bought by civilians.

Generation Z holds the future of the world in their hands. If nobody trusts young adults with the right to defend themselves, resentment evolves into disrespect, creating a rift between generations. However, if background checks continue to avoid the threat of minor mental instabilities, the US should expect to continue to watch as the the number of mass shootings in the country persist.

For more articles, read COLUMN: Architecture focus drives service dreams, reflects social change and Local scientists, students, teachers discuss climate crisis, controversies surface.

Brayden Iest can be reached via Twitter and email.