Econ profits from annual fair

?I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared,? Thomas Jefferson once said.

Although he spoke these words during the infant stages of the United States, they still holds truth as the economy grows and struggles through windfalls and recessions.

The intricacies of the economy become more difficult to understand as it continues to evolve. Robert Foshee, economics teacher for seven years, hopes to prepare students for the future through teaching them how the economy functions and affects their lives on a daily basis.

?Many people today are in debt and not saving their money,? Foshee said. ?We need to learn to make good economic choices.?

Foshee believes learning about the economy helps students realize smart financial choices for education, relationships, business and ultimately use their finances to further God?s kingdom through support of ministries.

?I learned about supply and demand, corporations and sole proprietors which allows me to make lots of money by understanding these ideas,? Walter Scott, ’08, said. ?Economics is important because if you understand the economy you won?t lose in the big game of life, by losing money and getting in debt.?

Foshee advises students to see saving as sacrificing for a goal, instead of deprivation which results in depression and resentment, while sacrificing brings satisfaction and pride in reaching a goal.

?A misconception that most students have is if you want something you can get it,? Foshee said. ?Students have to make choices and decisions especially when they are alone.?

In an effort to educate his students with a hands-on approach, Foshee requires students to craft, advertise and sell a good during the annual Economics Fair on March 27.

Two students partner up and buy supplies with personal money in hopes to overcompensate for their loss by gaining profit.

?It?s important for students to understand about investments and credit, and economics prepares them to know how to spend their money when they live on their own,? Aliza Ford, ?07, said. ?I didn?t realize how easy it was to start your own business and I plan to use the information I have learned while making financial decisions.?