Fresno Christian boys basketball wins Valley championship

[/media-credit] FC varsity boys basketball poses for a group photo with their championship hats, shirts, metals and plaque, Feb. 28.

Congratulations to the Fresno Christian boys basketball team for winning the 2020  CIF Central Section Division V Valley Championship! No. 2 seed FC defeats the No. 1 seed, Fowler, 76-73 , in double overtime at Selland Arena, Feb. 28.

After seven years of coaching, head coach Jon Penberthy wins his first ever Valley championship.

The last time boys basketball made it to finals, they lost to Kerman Valley in 2016. The last the Eagles won was in 2011 and 2012.

To show support, high school students were released at 11 p.m. to watch the game and cheer on the team. Students brought flags and wore spirit wear in an attempt to hype up the basketball team. Just like the girls soccer Valley championship, Feb. 21, seniors Angel Ruelas, and Richie Cortez, led the crowd in chants to boost up the team.

Key players that helped carry the team to the finals and through the season were Ty Utah Coffman, ’20, Bryson Graham, ’21, Carston Saelzler, ’21, Tyus Parrish- Tillman, ’22, and Orion Tomlinson, ’22. Your Central Valley also published Fresno Christian beats Fowler in double overtime to win Valley championship a video story, Feb. 28.

Relive the final seconds of FC’s 76-73 win over Fowler in the DV Valley championship via The Feather’s tweet from the Selland Arena stands, Feb. 28.

Game highlights and box scores will also posted on MaxPreps.

Earlier this month, Graham broke the school record of most three-pointers, held by Tyler Breedlove, ’16, and Ashley Zamarripa, ’19, with nine. He scored ten three-pointers against Kings Christian, Jan. 22. He was then nominated and crowned Fresno Bees Player of the Week with a total of 14,607 (38%) votes out of 37,782 total votes, Jan. 31.

The following video features clips and highlights from the CIF Central Section Division V Valley championship by senior videographer Braden Bell, Feb. 28.

Parrish-Tillman recently hit 1,000 high school career points in a game against Dos Palos where the Eagles defeated them, 75-46, Feb. 18. Parrish-Tillman is the team’s leading scorer averaging 20.3 points a game.

Tomlinson was nominated and titled as the Fresno Bees Player of the Week, Feb. 26, after he scored 21 points in a, 76-44, win against Dos Palos, Feb. 18. He also put up 23 points in a, 79-34, win over Bishop Union, Feb. 25. Tomlinson acquired a total of 3,251 (71%) of the total votes.

Leading scorers in the final match up against Fowler include Parrish-Tillman’s 23 points and 14 rebounds, Saelzler with 17 points and 18 rebounds and Tomlinson who scored 15 points. Parrish-Tillman was named player of the Valley championship game.

For more on the boys’ Valley championship, read the Feb. 28 Fresno Bee article and watch the video: What a game! Double-overtime decides section title between Fresno Christian and Fowler.

Fresno Christian boys basketball wins Valley championship, Congratulations Eagles.

For more on boys basketball, read Basketball Senior Night.

For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2019-20.

Below are images from the Valley championship game between Fresno Christian and  Fowler at Selland Arena, Feb. 28.