High school provides more than textbook education

For some, high school is a place to make friends and socialize. For others it is just another wall to push through waiting for the day they are released from their parentsí home. For the rest it is as it should be–a chance to learn and grow, preparing for the future.

While mandatory in the United States, high school is in fact more than just a seven-hour prison to clear the streets during daylight hours. It is actually quite beneficial, not only academically but socially too.

Creating a healthy social life is one of the most important aspects in forming well-rounded individuals. High school offers a controlled environment to develop friendships, a place to share and discuss trials and challenges. It prepares students to work alongside others who are different.

Gained responsibility is another perk to spending over 35 hours a week in school. It is evident from the time you sit on the bus alone for the first time to the day you walk across the stage to accept your diploma. Somehow this timid first grader is molded to a more dependable, poised and capable person; with no question that schooling had much to do with the transformation.

Students also receive training to better prepare them for the world, even if it is not realized at present. The odds of a person using the skills acquired through classes such as chemistry, trigonometry and even art is often unseen. Yet all are necessary for becoming a well rounded and educated human.

If school seems to be dragging on or like the most unproductive way to spend your afternoon, just remember it is perspective that will affect the amount of knowledge taken from the experience.

High school can be the most influential tool in your success or directly contribute to your failure. It all depends on what you are willing to put forward.