Desire for change adds credence to cause

It is not everyday that the youth of America are presented with the opportunity to change the future of a society. Even more rare is the ability to alter a society as distant as Africa.

With the recent visit of college students lobbying for the Invisible Children program, and the current immigration protests in L.A. and Fresno, the impact of teenagersí actions in America have reemerged as they have taken to the streets.

No one would think, while still in high school, that teens have the chance to contribute to something as significant as U.S. intervention in northern Uganda or shaping government policy.

But youth are often self-focused or aware of nothing more than a few televised images of the outside world. With this limited view, it is no surprise many feel they cannot have the same impact on society as older citizens.

This view is drastically different than those of previous generationís mindsets. Thanks to the Civil Rights and anti Vietnam War movements, young people became a part of demonstrations. The impact of standing for truth became a clear contrast to government policies and community values of the day.

Yet a group of children or young adults today can have as much or greater impact than that of an older assembly. Crowds of adolescents do not have to be seen as annoying protestors. A government is much more keen to take notice of its young citizens if they act responsibly for a just cause.

Just like the presumptions given to the older set of citizens, the teen voice might be over-looked due to their lack of experience in the world of politics. Finding someone to listen is the true challenge.

The goal is to gain a forum and with it nothing can halt the progress of truth. Provided that what is spoken has validity, the community will respond, and often the impossible can be achieved. When youth respond to issues such as the Invisible Children or immigration policy, this can be both inspirational and provide the impetus for change.

Do not think that young age or lack of social standing can quiet what needs to be heard. The truth will receive attention and the responsibility for finding the truth should be taken up by Americaís youths.