LETTER: Junior expresses disappointments over 2nd semester shelter-in-place

COVID-19 prohibits on-campus education, students miss end-of-the-year activities

Dear Editor,

[/media-credit] The Feather Online and its editors encourages readers to submit their opinions and comments through “letters to the editor”, offering a fresh voice to the online paper.

Since Monday was officially a full month of quarantine, and our school was supposed to go back on April 13, I have been disappointed. I did enjoy my month off, kind of like Christmas break, but it is starting to get old.

I know we have summer break which is much longer, but I am participating in basketball and planning on seeing friends often. I am very thankful that I am a junior and not a senior though; things like their last formal and senior trip can be highlights of their high school year and they do not get to participate in them.

I have enjoyed my time off and have caught up on a lot of things, but I am ready for a daily routine and to see my friends again. I am thankful that The Feather can still keep me updated on what is happening.

It is cool to see the stories about how we as students can deal with and react to this virus. I particularly liked the article by senior Serena Zhao about how our community is helping each other by making homemade masks. It is encouraging to see people I know being interviewed by The Feather.

Thanks for continuing to write.

Hannah Van Noy

To hear from more FC students about their experiences with at-home learning, read Join the Discussion: Feather staff shares COVID-19 shelter-in-place experiences and Join the Discussion: Alternative learning at home. For another article, read Locals gather to support homemade fabric mask protection needs.

The Feather staff and editors encourage comments, letters to the editor and guest columns. Share those opinions pieces either via the comment section at the bottom of each article or via [email protected].